There’s a fairly typical list of staples that “every woman needs in her wardrobe.” The little black dress, a crisp white button down shirt and a great pair of perfect-fitting jeans. But for me, no list of wearable essentials would be complete without a leather jacket, a moto jacket to be exact.
As I think back, I’ve had a long and slightly tumultuous relationship with leather jackets.
I wanted one for as long as I can remember. My parents each had their own. Mom, a leather three-quarter car coat kind of gal, and Daddy, a black or brown bomber fan. Because there was no Forever 21 when I was a teen, no endless Google return for faux leather plus-size jacket, I was resigned to the Wilson’s leathers of the world where the only plus-size options either looked like something my Dad would wear or my grandmother. Swing coat at 16 anyone? As if!
Flash forward to the present, so many options! While I’ve amassed a ridiculous number of leather jackets, there’s still that go-to that I grab that tops everything. One of my favorite ways to wear a moto is over dresses and skirts. The ever versatile moto adds the perfect dash of badass to even the sweetest dress. It adds structure to a layered top over an uber cool shift dress. The moto can also dress up something as basic as a sweatshirt. I don’t think we can ask much more of one piece, can we?
The amazing thing is that plus-size women can now find great looking leather jackets at every price point, all sorts of styles, real leather, vegan leather, moto, bomber, varsity, blazers, oh my. And now, (now!) my love for all things leather extends far beyond that teenage dream of a super cool leather jacket befitting my inner rock star.
Consider this. A leather dress that won’t make you look like you’re on your way to a Halloween party dressed as a hooker. A deliciously chic quilted leather skirt perfect to take you from desk to date. These things actually exist in plus sizes. Sorry, a moment while I look to the heavens… OK, I’m back.
I’ve gathered 16 totally unexpected, totally fabulous and totally available leather pieces in sizes ranging from a U.S. 14 to 24 (28 in some cases). What’s on my must-have list? Everything!
- ASOS CURVE Exclusive T-Shirt Dress With Leather (ASOS, $135)
- Alice & You Leather Look Overall Dress (ASOS, $66)
- Alice & You Jersey Dress With Leather Look Skater Skirt (ASOS, $54)
- Gianna Faux Leather Skirt (MYNT 1792, $108)
- ASOS CURVE Exclusive Leather Pants (ASOS, $112)
- ASOS CURVE Exclusive Skater Skirt In Leather (ASOS, $100)
- Halogen Quilted Lapel Leather Moto Jacket (Nordstrom, $338)
- Michael Kors Soft Crinkle Leather Jacket (Bloomingdale’s, $505)
- Two by Vince Camuto Faux Leather Moto Vest (Nordstrom, $164)
- Ivy & Blu for Maggy Boutique Jacquard Shift Dress (Nordstrom, $218)
- Faux Fur PU Trim Coat (Anna Scholz, $471)
- Vince Camuto Plus Faux Leather-Trimmed Boyfriend Blazer (Bloomingdale’s, $199)
- Carmakoma Boucle Coat With Quilted Leather Look Sleeves (ASOS, $319)
- Longline Biker Style Coat (Simply Be, $155)