Makeup artist and beauty blogger Cara Brook of MaskCara has essential tips for keeping your locks in tip-top shape! Follow her dos and don’ts for healthy, shiny locks!
Shiny strands are no accident
Having healthy hair is an absolute must for me. I like to keep it long and the only way to do that is to give it some serious TLC. Over the years, out of everything I’ve tried, these little tidbits have been my saving grace.
- Shampoo too often: Washing your strands strips them of all of their natural oils and (most likely) leads to blow drying. Try to drag out your in-between hair washing as long as possible.
- Blow dry: Sounds crazy, but if you can find a way to embrace your own hair texture, it will thank you! Those crazy, hot air-blowing machines really do a number on your tresses.
- Flat iron: Starting to feel like I am taking away all of your favorite things? I promise they will be replaced with better things! Things like shiny, pretty natural waves that aren’t at frizzy and fried. Deal?
- Cake on the products: Most products (gel, styling cream, hairspray) have alcohol as one of the main ingredients. You know that’s not good, so only use them when needed — no autopilot spraying!
- Use a heat protectant: Inevitably you are going to use a curling or flat iron. Every once in a while is completely fine. Just be sure to use a heat protectant when you do.
- Use a conditioning mask: Treat your tresses to a conditioning mask about once a week. Your hair will feel like amazing silk and you’ll feel totally pampered.
- Invest in high quality products: I am as frugal as they come, but when it comes to my shampoo and conditioner, I really splurge. It’s incredible what a difference it makes, and the inexpensive products are usually much more diluted and you have to use twice as much anyway. I’m not saying you’ll break even, but you’ll be surprised at how big of a difference it is.