The holidays are upon us which means it’s time to make your hair extra-glamorous! I have asked two of my all time favorite go-to hair stylists for the latest and greatest tips to make your hair picture perfect this holiday season!
Chignon, Alyn Topper
One of the most sought-after hairdressers in the biz , Alyn Topper, says that for a festive hairdo on a holiday party-hopping night, try a chignon and modernize it by playing with texture. Keep it smooth in the front and let the chignon be tousled in the back. For a trendier look, try a thick dramatic smooth bang in the front and braided chignon in the back. To start your holiday ‘do transformation, it’s important to begin with a good base.
- First cleanse hair and towel dry. Add Biomega’s Up All Night Volume Foam to help create lift and texture.
- Blow dry hair until almost dry then start round brushing to create volume, smoothness and movement.
- After hair is dry, go in with your favorite sized hot iron (like GHD Classic Styler) to create contrasting textures within the shape. Hold the head upside down, gather hair and twist and pin where it feels comfortable. If hair is braided, secure with a clear small band and wrap around to create a textured chignon and pin as desired.
- Updos should look effortless. Try using some glitzy clips or some of your favorite jewelry to glamorize your fresh updo. Alyn loves Jennifer Behr‘s hair accessories – one of Hollywood’s best kept secrets.
Faux bob, Andre Walker
If the allure of a 1920’s-style bob is too much to resist but the thought of chopping off your locks horrifies you, there is a solution – the ‘fob’ or faux bob, says Andre Walker, Creative director and principal of Andre Walker Hair.
- Define and shine your curls with hair oil, like the Argan oil-enriched Andre Walker Q-Oil Quench Essential Oil
- To create the bob, secure an elastic band at the end of the hair then roll your hair underneath the elastic and tuck in to the nape of your neck
- If you have shorter layers, leave them loose to make the bob look more realistic.
- Secure your makeshift bob with bobby pins and spritz with hairspray to hold the style.
Pompadour, Andre Walker
Walker says to banish thoughts of Elvis and cast your gaze toward stars like Alicia Keys who are giving the pompadour a feminine, modern makeover.
- Take your hair from the back and twist tightly together with hair you have taken from the ears, securing with bobby pins.
- Doing this should have left a section of hair at the top loose- fold and twist this piece of hair to create huge volume at the top and pin it to secure.
Short & sassy, Alyn Topper
“Short hair can be made ultra holiday chic by playing around with different textures. By simply changing the texture, you can instantly give more of a party feel! If the look is normally pixie sleek, try spiking it up. If the hair is worn spiked, try putting a little curl into it!” says Topper.
Voluminous curls, Andre Walker
Walker says that for naturally curly hair, you can work your curls by pumping up the volume!
- Flip your damp hair over and use a diffuser to blow dry your hair.
- While your hair is still flipped over, spray a volumizing hair spray on your curls, and then shake them out for massive fullness.