For a date or a special event, do something a little different with your hair. If you usually wear your hair down, pull it into a messy updo for a romantic yet sexy look. Get inspired by some of the updos we’ve seen lately on the red carpet from Mary-Kate Olsen and Alexa Chung.
A romantic updo doesn’t have to be perfectly polished and sleek. Instead, it can be a little messy like Mary-Kate Olsen’s look at the 2012 MET Ball. Get inspired and recreate Mary-Kate’s look with these tips from hair stylist Charley Brown of Wella Professionals. Brown was the stylist behind Mary-Kate’s feather-light, romantic ‘do for the event.
“Mary-Kate’s beauty visual became very personal since it needed to represent her artistic integrity as a designer. With the complex combination of strong tailoring and romantic drapery of Mary Kate’s custom gown, her hair had to have the same complexity and impact that combined angelic romance with strength and simplicity,” said Brown on the inspiration for this look.
How to get the look:
- After shampooing and conditioning your hair, coat wet hair with Wella Professionals Stay Brilliant Color Protection Lotion, then blow dry using a diffuser for some texture.
- Separate dry hair into four equal sections and pat down each section with texturizing spray. Shake out each section and then cross all sections to the top point, twisting and folding the hair into a knotted bun. Secure with bobby pins.
- Rub the edges of the hairline to bring out flyaways and baby hairs for a simply romantic look. Finish the look with a spritz of hair spray to keep everything in its place.
Though Alexa Chung’s Marc Jacobs dress wasn’t a big hit with many critics, her hair looked fabulous. Crafted by Sebastian Professional stylist Diego Da Silva, the ‘do has a Brigitte Bardot-esque appeal to it with a modern flair. Da Silva offers the following tips to achieve Chung’s vintage look.
How to get the look:
- After shampooing and conditioning your hair, apply Sebastian Professional Texturizer to the roots while hair is still damp and then blow dry with a round brush.
- Backcomb your roots and then use a brush to soften them a bit. Loosely pull back your hair into a half ponytail, leaving fringe in the front. Secure the ponytail with bobby pins and spritz your hair all over with hair spray.