Beyoncé’s “Bootylicious” may have made it famous — and Kim Kardashian put the cherry on top — but nowadays, everyone’s going crazy for some killer curves. We always encourage embracing your naturally beautiful body type, and this is one time when the saying holds true: If you’ve got it, flaunt it. Meaning, if you’ve been hiding a shapely hourglass for all of these years, it’s time to learn how to flatter (and celebrate) your fuller figure.
The pear body shape is the most common female body shape. Grab a mirror and take a look: If your hips and backside are wider than your shoulders, you’re the lucky owner of a pear-shaped body. Pear-shaped bodies typically have a smaller bustline as well. Depending on your overall proportions, bustier pears may actually be an hourglass body style.
More: Best tops for pear-shaped bodies
Which celebrities have a pear-shaped body?
Beyoncé, Kim Kardashian, Christina Aguilera, Eva Longoria, Paris Hilton and Rihanna all have pear-shaped bodies. Yep, these gals tend to be both hippy and hip!
Stylists’ secrets: Dressing a pear-shaped body
Style challenges include finding clothing items that fit both your waist (tiny) and your hips (a bit wider). Dresses can be a challenge because slim-cut fashion may not flare enough to accommodate the bottom half of your pear-shaped body, while remaining tailored to the top half of your body.
More: Best pants for pear body shapes
Speaking of tailored, find a good tailor and keep him or her on speed dial. Fashions that don’t fit quite right can quickly be remedied with a dart here and a tuck there.
How to dress a pear-shaped body
- Focus attention upward. Pear-shaped women should focus attention on the upper half of their pear-shaped body by choosing slim, fitted tops, button-down shirts and cardigans.
- Embellish around the neck. Shirts and dresses with embellished necklines naturally draw the eye upward toward the slimmest part of a pear-shaped body.
- Layer it up. Layering garments can balance a pear-shaped body by adding visual interest to the top half of the body.
- Go for an A. A-line dresses and tops emphasize the upper body while slimming wider hips characteristic of a pear-shaped body.
- Wide is good. Keep the hems of pants, skirts and dresses wide to visually balance a pear-shaped body. Pointy-toed shoes with a wide-hemmed pants will elongate your legs.
- Get a little structure. Structured pants are a great fit, especially those that skim the hips and thighs of a pear-shaped body. Avoid flashy embellishments like cargo pants, funky pockets or embroidery.
Next Up: Pear-shaped celeb style