Put your best face forward with these three effective and simple-to-make DIY beauty treatments! You probably already have all the ingredients, too!
take control of your skin!
Yael Cohen is not only a health and wellness expert, but she’s also the founder of F*** Cancer, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating the public about cancer and helping to save lives. The organization’s mission is to spread the simple message that “90 percent of cancer is curable in stage one!” Visit the website to learn more about the organization at www.letsfcancer.com.
SheKnows was happy to have Yael provide us with a few of her favorite skin care tricks that are simple and effective. The best part? You can find the ingredients for all three recipes right in your kitchen!
Strawberry mask for acne-prone skin
Kick acne to the curb with this gentle face mask. If you get a bit in your mouth, no worries — it tastes great!
“Anything I can eat makes me feel safer about putting it on my skin. We often forget that our skin is our largest organ. What goes on your skin gets absorbed through your skin — so if you wouldn’t put it in your mouth (this includes oral medications) why put it on your skin? Lemon provides your skin with a chemical exfoliation to brighten your skin by removing dead skin cells. Honey is a natural moisturizer and contains anti-bacterial properties to rid your face of bacteria. Calcium in yogurt helps to increase cell renewal.”
- 1/4 cup mashed strawberries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Mash up the strawberries.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the strawberries, and then pour the honey into the mixture.
- Add the yogurt to the mixture and stir until it’s smooth.
- Apply the mask to your face and leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off, and then moisturize as usual.
Exfoliating lip scrub
You can never give your lips enough moisture, right? This gentle scrub will do wonders for your pucker!
“When you travel as much as I do, your skin — especially your lips — gets really dry. This lip scrub is one of my favorite ways to make sure my lips stay soft and smooth. Taking the dead skin off your lips will help your lipstick/gloss go on evenly with no clumping.”
- 1 part brown sugar
- 1 part honey
- 1 part olive oil
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
- Spread it on your lips using your fingers, and then gently rinse it off.
Hydrating mask for dry skin
Your skin can become dry any time of year. Fight back with a great face mask with ingredients you can get your hands on any time of year!
“Constant travel and change of environments does a lot of damage to your skin. I love this mask to help get some moisture back into dry skin. It will make you look dewy and plump up lines so they are harder to see — especially around your eye area. If you have sensitive skin, combine the dry oatmeal powder with 1/2 tablespoon almond oil, juice from half a lemon and 1 egg white instead.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 tablespoons dry oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- Blend the oatmeal using a food processor until it has a powdery texture.
- In a bowl, stir together the honey, oatmeal and yogurt.
- Spread the mixture evenly on your face and leave on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse and moisturize as usual.