That little pack of drugstore makeup wipes may be cute and convenient, but over time, the cost can quickly add up — especially when you keep losing them in the bottom of your purse. Save yourself five bucks each month by mixing up your own natural eye makeup remover at home with common ingredients you probably already have lying around the house.
Here are two quick-and-easy recipes to get you started:
1. DIY makeup remover wipes
The convenience of makeup remover wipes cannot be disputed. Especially for those times when you’re just too tired to wash your face before hitting the sack (you really should wash your face before bed every night, but let’s face it. Sometimes we’re just too pooped). These handy wipes will help keep your face free and clear of old makeup that could wreak havoc on your skin overnight.
Coconut oil is great to cook and bake with, but it’s good for your skin, too. It’s a great, gentle moisturizer, and is said to have antibacterial and antifungal properties.
These wipes are simple to make! I added some decorative tape to the top of my container, just for fun. To make your own, you’ll need the following.
- 1/2 roll select-a-size paper towels
- 1 clean plastic, sealable container, about the same size as half of 1 of the select-a-size sheets (I recycled a baby wipe container)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups water
- 1-2 squirts mild liquid face soap or baby shampoo
- Decorative tape (optional)
Use heavy scissors to cut your half roll of paper towels in half, right down the middle. If you prefer, rip off each towel, then cut them in half, a few at a time. This will take a bit more time.
- Add the water, coconut oil and face soap to a bowl. Microwave for about 20 seconds. Whisk together to combine.
- Fill the container with half the mixture. Set your pieces of cut paper towels into the container, and adjust them so there is at least 1 side that hangs over (on the inside) a bit.
- Close the container and turn it upside down so the liquid soaks into the paper towels.
- Pour more of the mixture into the container. You might not need all the remaining liquid so add a little at a time at this point.
- When you’re ready to use a wipe, simply open the container, pull out a sheet, gently massage over your face, then throw away.