School’s back in session! Take a cue from your grade school uniform and slip into these nostalgic trends we’re totally obsessed with right now.
Bring on the classroom
Think back to when you were 9 years old — what were you wearing? If you were anything like us, you couldn’t get enough of cute plaid skirts, colorful messenger bags, classic leather loafers and preppy cardigans.
And luckily for us, all of these goods are totally on trend this season. Whether you’re headed to work or hanging out on the weekend, incorporate these four school-inspired trends into your wardrobe, and you’ll be at the top of your style class.
Whether checkered or houndstooth, we saw super-chic plaid looks all over the fall 2013 runways — everything from colorful checked jackets at Marc by Marc Jacobs to black and white tartan frocks at Reem Acra. Headed to work? Try a plaid blazer. Lounging with your boyfriend on the weekends? Opt for a super-cool plaid blouse. No matter what you choose, ensure the rest of your ensemble is pattern-free to put full focus on your standout plaid piece.
1. Kenzo Vintage Jungle Jap Plaid Jacket $210, 2. Equipment Brett Plaid Sheer Blouse $166,
3. 10 Crosby Derek Lam Slim Plaid Trousers $308, 4. Kate Spade New York Perry Street Plaid Shawna Bag $288, 5. Mossimo Vianca Plaid Tuxedo Flat $10
Step into any boutique and you’ll find a wide assortment of fabulous loafers. Why? Because they’re totally adorable, and you can wear them with practically anything! Rock a classic brown pair with skinny slacks, a button-front shirt and a fitted blazer for work, or kick back in a patterned style with distressed jeans and a tee for weekend brunch.
1. Steve Madden Black Stud Loafers $100, 2. Dorothy Perkins Leighton Brown Leather Loafers $75,
3. Zara Ethnic Slippers $20, 4. Tory Burch Careen Runway Loafer Pumps $157,
5. Reed Karkoff Tri-Tote Python and Leather Loafers $260
Every girl needs an everyday bag. But this season, ditch your hobo or top-handle style and get back to your childhood roots with a messenger bag. A buttery soft leather option will last you forever, and can be used for a number of different occasions — for work, for travel or even for a night out (if it’s small enough).
1. Marc by Marc Jacobs Natural Selection Messenger Bag $517, 2. Zara Calfskin Messenger Bag $20, 3.LAUREN by Ralph Lauren Bexley Heath Messenger $228, 4. River Island Pink Mini Messenger Bag $20,
5. Dooney & Bourke Messenger Bag $198
Whether you’re rocking colorful cashmere or an oversize nubby option, a cool cardigan is a must this season. Channel your inner boarding school student with a classic navy one buttoned up with a blouse and trousers for work, or open with a v-neck tee and printed denim for a lazy Saturday.
1. Closed Cashmere Cardigan $350, 2. J. Crew Jackie Cardigan $55,
3. By Malene Birger Selene Striped Cardigan $170, 4. Topshop Knitted A Rib Cardi $40,
5. Chinti and Parker Star-Intarsia Cardigan $475, 6. Dorothy Perkins Navy Panel Cardigan $35