Bircher muesli/overnight oats
This filling, whole-foods breakfast "cooks" up in the fridge overnight.
Bircher muesli, also called "overnight oats," is the make-ahead morning rush solution. Rather than cooking oats on the stove top, combine them with chia seeds and milk the night before. They soften as they absorb the liquid overnight and are the perfect consistency to eat cold in the morning. The chia seeds add nutrition and a pudding-like texture. Take advantage of the extra time to sit down to breakfast together as a family, or make overnight oats for an on-the-go breakfast.
We like to top ours with fresh fruit and chopped nuts, but feel free to play around with add-ins like shredded coconut, granola (for crunch!) and nut butters.
Serves 1, multiply as needed
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons raisins (optional)
- Fresh fruit and chopped nuts, to serve
- To a medium-sized jar or other lidded container, add the oats, chia seeds, milk, cinnamon and raisins, if using. Stir, or add the lid and shake, until evenly distributed.
- Move the oat mixture to the refrigerator to chill overnight. In the morning, top with fruit and nuts and serve cold.