Ditch the goldfish: Homemade cheesy snacks
Make your own preservative-free cheese crackers with just a handful of ingredients.
You might be surprised how simple it is to make your own Goldfish-like crackers at home. They only require five ingredients — and one is water!
Homemade cheese snacks
Makes 75 1-inch crackers
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces and chilled
- 4 ounces very finely shredded cheddar cheese (A Microplane works well for this.)
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Add the flour and salt to the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the butter and cheese and pulse until about evenly distributed, about 10 to 15 pulses. Drizzle in the cold water and process until the dough starts to come together in a ball. Use your hands to bring the dough fully together, shape into a flat disc, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the chilled dough on a lightly floured surface and roll to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out crackers using a small cookie cutter and move to the baking sheets, spaced at least a half inch apart. Bake until cooked through and puffed slightly, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool fully before storing in an airtight container.