Vegetable sushi is easier than you think! With just a few quick steps, you'll have homemade sushi in no time.
This recipe will make approximately nine sushi rolls, and will feed about three to four people.
If you don't have bamboo mats, you can use a clean kitchen towel, parchment paper or even baking mats to roll your sushi.
- 3 cups short-grain rice
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 9 sheets seaweed wrappers
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 cucumber cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 avocado cut into 1/4-inch strips
- Rinse the rice under running water until the water becomes clear.
- Soak the rice for 20 minutes.
- Drain the rice in a mesh colander and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Combine the rice and water in a sauce pan. Cover with a lid. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and allow to sit for an additional 10 minutes.
- Combine rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small sauce pan. Cook until sugar and salt dissolve. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture onto the rice as you toss it, coating entirely. Fan the rice to cool it down.
- Place the rice in a shallow bowl and wrap it with plastic wrap until ready to use.
- Set one sheet of seaweed on a bamboo roller, rough side up. Moisten lightly with water.
- Evenly spread about 1 cup of rice onto the rough side of the seaweed. Leave about 1/2 inch exposed at the end farthest from you.
- Line up the carrots, cucumber and avocado from end to end on the rice.
- Holding the vegetables in place, in one movement life the bamboo mat up and over the vegetables.
- Continue to roll, applying light pressure.
- To cut sushi rolls into individual pieces, dampen a knife with a wet paper towel and cut the roll into pieces.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.