Ever wondered what goes on in the minds of the beauty industry’s best experts? You’re about to find out! Over the next few months, I’ll be chatting all things fashion and beauty with some of the brightest minds in the industry. Up today? Rue La La’s Fashion Editorial Director Jackie Nasser.
SheKnows: What are your top three beauty essentials?
Jackie Nasser: I am obsessed with Josie Maran’s Argan Oil. You can seriously use it on everything, from hair to skin and nails. I am fair skinned so I never leave the house without putting on sunscreen. Right now I love Neutrogena Ultra Sheer SPF 70. I also use Laura Mercier primer — it provides the best coverage and it’s very lightweight.
SK: What are some of your fashion guilty pleasures?
JN: Right now, I am really into Les Nouvelles for one-of-a-kind pieces, J. Crew for the best summer basics (swimsuits, trousers, jewelry, sweaters) and Sephora for all my beauty supplies. My biggest guilty (or priciest) pleasure is Proenza Schouler. Sometimes the PS-1 bags are on Rue, which are especially drool-worthy!
SK: Who’s your celeb fashion crush?
JN: David and Victoria Beckham. They are always so polished and put together, and look so perfect together. I will say they have come a long way since their sarong and matching leather days!
SK: What’s the best fashion tip you’ve picked up on the job?
JN: There is never a shortage of style inspiration at Rue La La, but the best tip I can give is that there are no rules in fashion. At Rue, we’ve been pairing pink and red for some awesome colorblocking looks, [and] we’re styling winter white looks for later this season. Forget the no LBD rule at weddings — add a colorful statement necklace and you’re good to go. If you’re happy and confident with what you have put together, then go for it.
SK: Rue La La is all about amazing fashion deals, so we want to know: What’s the last amazing fashion deal you got?
JN: I just purchased a mini cross body Chloe saddlebag off of Rue. I’ve had my eye on it for a while and finally took the plunge. It was worth it — I’m wearing it everywhere now!
SK: What are your top five fashion essentials for the budget-conscious, stylish working woman?
JN: There are so many ways to stay stylish and polished while on a budget, but my top five tips are:
- Accessories. I especially love dainty gold pieces — they will always be in fashion and you’ll get a lot of mileage out of them.
- A polished bun. I am all about the sock bun these days. It’s a perfect look for the office and can take you to dinner or drinks after. And it’s so simple — you seriously just need a sock to get a perfect bun.
- LBD. It’s a wardrobe staple and there are great quality dresses available at any price point. The LBD is a classic that’s multipurpose. Dress it up with a red lip and a statement necklace for a cocktail party or dress it down with a denim jacket and flats.
- Pop of color. It can be anything from your bag, shoes, scarves or even your nails — a pop of color is a great way to stay current without breaking the bank.
- Skinny belts. They are an easy accessory to add to any outfit. Put them over a cardigan, stack or wrap them and get them in any color or print — neon, metallic, animal — to add excitement and texture.
SK: What’s one fashion trend that will never go out of style?
JN: Definitely the nautical look! Pairing stripes, red, white and blue is such a classic look. It’s a trend year after year, with a slightly different twist, of course.