How to pack for Coachella
As one of the most anticipated music festivals on the West Coast approaches, many get ready for a weekend (or two) filled with good vibes and even better jams. So while we wish you an unforgettable weekend, we want to make sure your essentials aren't forgotten either. Here are a few steps to take while packing for your harmonizing trip to the desert.
Step 1: Tote your trendiest threads
Picking out a single outfit can be hard enough, but when you have to pick multiple ensembles in one day, things can get a bit chaotic. Remember, a weekend at Coachella is about relaxing in the desert sun and listening to your favorite bands, but it can also be a huge fashion statement. Among the sea of people, you'll see many unique styles and trends. You don't need to be dressed to the nines — Coachella is a very relaxed environment — but that doesn't mean you can't wear something fashionable and cute. The following items are perfect for your Coachella wardrobe.
- Bring a fun hat to make a statement. Hats are a great item to spice up your outfit. Bring along a fedora or a floppy hat to protect you from the sun and look cute while doing it.
- Sunglasses are a must. The desert is a hot and sunny place during the day, so make sure to bring your favorite go-to shades. Aviators are great day-glasses and look good on just about everyone. Larger framed glasses are also a common Coachella find, but whichever type you choose, just make sure you choose wisely — your sunnies will be a necessity!
- Maximize your look. Maxi skirts and dresses are great pieces to bring to Coachella for their comfort and class. It's easy to just throw on a maxi dress, some jewelry, shades and head for the show. The days can be long, so keep that in mind when dressing for a day at the festival.
- Try a crop top. Crop tops are very popular items at Coachella. Many pair them with high-waisted shorts or a cute maxi skirt. Especially considering the heat, you'll want to wear something that will keep you cool.
- Pack a light jacket. The weather can vary in the desert and can get a little breezy at night. Bringing along a jacket won't hurt, or try a trendy chambray shirt to throw over your outfit, just in case you get a chill.
Step 2: Bring the bare beauty essentials
A Coachella day can be long, hot and take a toll on your appearance. Keep in mind that your weekend will mainly consist of outdoor activities, so you want to make sure you're not wearing a ton of makeup that will be streaking down your face by the end of the day. In Coachella's case, less is always more in almost every situation, but you want to make sure you are protecting your skin and wearing the proper coverage. Here are some beauty essentials to pack for your trip.
- Include a foundation containing SPF. A light foundation is best for a day at Coachella, and you can kill two birds with one stone by using one that includes SPF. Don't waste too much time applying makeup; keep in mind that au naturel is the look at Coachella. Plus, you don't want to miss out on your favorite band because you were too busy getting dolled up, do you?
- Bring on the facial mist. Besides drinking lots of water, keeping your skin refreshed is an important to stay hydrated. The desert is a dry place, so bringing some facial mist along will keep you looking your best throughout the day.
- Consider a waterproof mascara. Let's face it, mascara running down your face isn't a good look for anyone. The heat can be a burden to beauty, so you may want to try using waterproof mascara so you won't have to worry about a cosmetic meltdown.
Step 3: Create a home away from home
If you're planning on camping at Coachella, you'll want to make sure to bring the proper items to survive the weekend. Some attendees stay wherever the night takes them, but if you aren't that adventurous, you'll want to plan ahead. Bring the following to ensure that you aren't runnin' for the nearest hotel once you get there:
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Hand sanitizer
- Lip balm
- Remember your sleeping bag. This seems like a no-brainer, but this is something that you'll be longing for after a lengthy day in the sun. You may also want to bring extra blankets, considering the cooler weather at night.
- Please, don't forget deodorant. For the sake of everyone you are with, you're gonna want to pack this.
- Take cover. Bringing along a tent is a must for camping, but also consider bringing an "easy-up" canopy to hang out under during those sunny days. Also, consider bringing lawn chairs so you're not stuck sitting on that itchy grass.
- Stock up on food. You'll want to make sure you have enough food to last you throughout the weekend. Sometimes you can get distracted by all that's going on and forget to fuel your body, but trust me, you'll need to eat to keep up with the beat.
- Bring a camera to capture it all. This is something you're going to want with you to prove that you were one of the lucky ones. Coachella is an amazing experience, so be sure to take lots of pictures, and most of all, have fun!