Get the look: Whimsical French chateau style
Is there anything more charming and chic than a home inspired by the French countryside? We don't think so, which is why we're sharing some tips for getting the sophisticated but whimsical look at home.
In this episode of Thank God I Hired a Designer, Bob Gaynor of Clark Gaynor Interiors shares some insight into how to create a French country feel in your home.
Choose the right art
If French country charm is what you're after, your decor needs to reflect your choice, especially when it comes to art. The key is to add art that plays into the aesthetic of a French chateau and make it a large focal point in the room. Then you can pepper the rest of the space with smaller pieces that also fit the theme. If a custom commission or original piece isn't in your budget, think about framing an oversize print — consider Degas or Manet. If you are going to purchase an original work, a consultation with an art expert or interior designer on the exact look you're going for can help you find the right piece.
Take a look at more art buying tips >>
Find sophisticated but comfortable furniture
Furniture is meant to be used, and in order for people to feel welcome, it needs to be comfortable. But that doesn't mean it can't be stylish and work with the type of look you're going for — in this case, French chateau. Look for structured pieces that also offer some softness, and in luxe but neutral tones — toffee, ocher, cream and charcoal.
Add the right rug
One of the first design elements to put in a room to pull it together and create a base for your French chateau look is the rug — in this case, very fine needlepoint. For a French chateau feel, the colors should be soft, and when it comes to design, look for something floral or botanical.
5 Product picks to get the look
We sourced five stylish pieces to help you create your own French country chic home.
- We love the warm, creamy tones of this French-inspired rug accented with cool pops of blue (laylagrayce.com, $193).
- Give the kitchen or dining area some French country flair with the help of this rustic-chic buffet and hutch (potterybarn.com, $799 to $2,098).
- Any entryway would be instantly taken to the next level of style and French country grace with the addition of this narrow hall console (horchow.com, $899).
- Add a pop of colorful French country charm to a couch or chair with this pretty pillow sham (serenaandlily.com, $68).
- We were instantly enamored by this vintage French round upholstered chair (restorationhardware.com, $199 to $249).