3 Easy ways to make over a mirror
Mirrors are stylish additions that make any room look larger. Take a plain, frameless mirror and give it an extraordinary makeover in no time at all.
Create a mustache mirror
As you probably know, fake mustaches are all the rage right now. Everywhere you go, you see mustaches on T-shirts, the fake mustache-on-a-stick, even temporary tattoo mustaches. From the natural mustache to the handlebar style to the Fu Manchu — mustaches are on everything from greeting cards to glassware to mirrors!
You can create your own whimsical mustache mirror with a simple stencil and some black nail polish. You can use everything from a pocket compact mirror to a large bathroom mirror. You simply find your favorite mustache style stencil. You can get mustache stencils on Etsy and from other retailers, or you can make your own.
- Mustache stencil
- Adhesive label
- X-Acto knife
- Black nail polish
- Print your stencil on adhesive label. Cut out the inner portion of the mustache with an X-Acto knife to create the stencil.
- Look into your mirror and position your stencil where you want the mustache to be (under your nose) and then stick it into place. You don't have to push it down firmly, you want to be able to remove the stencil from the mirror.
- Then, simply fill in the stencil with a few thin coats of black (or pink!) nail polish, letting it dry between each coat.
- Lift the stencil. Allow the mustache to dry and you are done!
Frame it with nature
Bring the outdoors in by adding natural elements to frame your mirror. You can do this in a number of ways, but the easiest is with assorted twigs.
- Twigs cut in 5-inch pieces (or smaller if you are framing a small mirror)
- Old newspapers
- Spray paint (green or white are nice choices)
- Hot-glue gun
- Frameless mirror of any shape
- Place twigs down on newspaper and apply a light coat of spray paint. Let the twigs dry completely and then turn them over to paint the other side. Spray several light coats of paint to achieve your desired color.
- Use the hot-glue gun to adhere the twigs to the mirror, starting two inches or so from the outer edge. Overlap layers of twigs, working toward the outer edge and around the mirror.
- Let dry completely and then hang.
You simply measure your mirror, fill out the MirrorMate order form, pick your frame style and color, and then a custom frame kit is shipped to you. Adhering the frame is easy. You don't even remove your frameless mirror from the wall. You basically just spread the included glue onto the corner joints, push in the connectors, peel the backing tape and press on the frame. Voila! A fabulous mirror makeover without any trouble at all. You can shop by frame style, by color or by price. Their lowest cost frames average about $158 for a 3 x 5-foot frame.