Kids getting restless as the turkey cooks? Here’s a fun craft that adds color to the table and will keep everyone busy before and after dinner. Bonus: It’s easy enough for little ones to do with just a bit of guidance.
- 1 branch, sized to fit the middle of your table
- Pencil, ruler
- 6-8 pieces of craft paper in winter, holiday or Christmas hues
- Child-safe scissors
- Markers (optional)
- Remove any leaves or loose dirt from the branch and lay it lengthwise in the center of the table.
- Use the pencil to outline a leaf shape (about five inches long) on a piece of craft paper, then cut it out. Your child can use this as a template to trace 12 or more leaves on the craft paper. Then she can cut them out and fold them in half lengthwise.
- Arrange the leaves loosely alongside the branch.
Holiday table runner
By Wondertime Magazine staff
Need to get fancy on the fly? A table runner adds elegance and flair to a holiday dinner table.
- Washable fabric paint ($6 per color for Createx)
- Disposable plastic plates
- Daisy mums
- Hemp table runner
- Pour about 1/3 cup of paint onto a plastic plate.
- Dip flower facedown in paint, making sure the petals and the center get evenly, but not heavily, coated.
- Firmly press the flower facedown on the runner to make a print, and re-dip in the paint as needed. Make as few or as many prints as you like along the length of the runner. (Test first on newspaper if you like.)
- Let dry completely, for about an hour, then put the runner in a hot dryer for 10 minutes to set the colors. After dinner, wash and dry as usual.