DIY ombré glitter vase is the prettiest way to display your bouquet
Don't spend a bunch of money on a Valentine's Day vase you will only pull out once a year. Instead, use this simple technique to add some sparkle and style to any vase from the thrift store.
For this project you will need an inexpensive glass vase from the thrift store, 3 shades of glitter, dishwasher-safe Mod Podge and a few foam paint brushes.
Make sure that the glass vase is completely clean and dry, inside and out.
Paint a thin, even layer of dishwasher-safe Mod Podge to the bottom 1/3 of the vase.
You will need at least 3 colors of glitter to create the ombré look. Sprinkle the darkest color of glitter over the Mod Podge until the bottom of the vase is thoroughly covered.
Paint the rest of the vase with the Mod Podge, then fill the middle section of the vase with the mid-toned glitter, and the top of the vase with the lightest color of glitter. The glitter may look a little uneven until the Mod Podge dries completely, so don't panic. We will work on blending the colors more in the next step.
To help smooth the transition from one color to the next, mix up 2 batches of glitter. Grab 2 cups and mix together the light and mid-toned glitter in 1 cup, and the mid and dark-toned glitter in the other.
Gently dab some more Mod Podge on the vase where 2 colors meet. Sprinkle the glitter mixtures over the Mod Podge to help complete the ombré look.
Set the vase in a safe place while the Mod Podge dries completely. Once it is dry, you can add your flowers and enjoy your pretty new ombré glitter vase. For added protection and glitter staying-power, you can spray the vase with a coat of waterproof clear coat.
DIY ombré glitter vase
- Glass vase
- 3 colors glitter
- Dishwasher-safe Mod Podge
- Foam paint brushes
- Waterproof clear coat (optional)
- Thoroughly clean the vase.
- Apply a thin, even layer of Mod Podge to the bottom 1/3 of the vase.
- Sprinkle the darkest color of glitter over the bottom 1/3 of the vase.
- Paint the rest of the vase with Mod Podge, then add the mid-tone glitter to the middle of the vase and the lightest glitter to the top.
- Mix up 2 cups of glitter: 1 with the dark and mid-tone glitter and 1 with the mid-tone and light glitter.
- Gently dab Mod Podge over the area of the vase where 2 colors meet, then sprinkle the glitter mixtures over these areas to help blend the ombré look.
- Let the vase dry completely before using. Coat the vase with waterproof clear coat for added protection.