Make a sweet pair of hand-painted mugs for you and your valentine
This Valentine's Day, cozy up with your sweetheart with a warm cup of coffee (using these hand-painted mugs, of course). With a paint marker and an oven, you can turn any inexpensive mug into a unique and useful Valentine's Day surprise.
For this project you will need our printable template, mugs, glass paint markers, scissors and a pencil.
Start by cutting out the bow and arrow and heart shapes so that the paper is small enough to easily fit on the mug.
This is the easiest way to transfer a design from one surface to the next. Flip the 2 pieces of paper over and fill in the back of the paper with pencil. A regular wooden pencil works better than a mechanical pencil.
Place the design on the mug (you can use tape to hold it in place). Then, pressing firmly, trace around the design with the pencil.
Remove the paper and you will see that the design has transferred to the mug.
Use a glass paint marker to fill in the design.
Transfer the heart design to the other side of your mug, then fill in that design with a different color. Repeat these steps for the second mug.
Use the pencil to draw a dashed line connecting the bow and arrow to the heart, then go over with paint marker. Place the mugs side by side and draw the line so that it looks like the line moves from one mug to the next when the cups are next to each other.
Let the paint dry for 8 hours, then bake the mugs in the oven at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes to set the design. Once the design is set, the mugs are dishwasher safe and ready to use.
How to make Valentine's Day mugs
- Printable template
- Glass paint markers (in the colors of your choice)
- Cut out the images from the template.
- Fill in the back of the images with pencil.
- Tape the bow and arrow template to the mug, then trace around the design with pencil.
- Remove the template to reveal the transferred design underneath.
- Fill in the design with the paint pen.
- Transfer the heart design to the mug, then repeat steps 3 – 5 for both mugs.
- Connect the bow and arrow to the heart using a dashed line. Draw the line so that it looks like it goes from one mug to the other when the mugs are placed side by side.
- Let the paint pen dry for 8 hours, then bake the mugs in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes to cure the paint. Once the paint is cured, the mugs are dishwasher safe and ready to use.