Revamp an IKEA serving tray with this easy how-to (VIDEO)
Add your own personalized style to this IKEA serving tray. It's perfect for just about anything. From serving drinks, to coffee table decor, or a place to store and display your perfumes.
- A tray — the IKEA tray is best for disassembling and reassembling
- A design in mind
- Spray paint
1. Select your tray. There are a lot of different trays that will work for this project. Here is one from IKEA that we recommend.
2. Disassemble. Unscrew each screw so the wooden pieces come off. This makes it easier for you to decorate the tray without the ends in the way.
3. Trace design. Depending on your mood or personal preferences, you can trace the design of your choice onto the tray. This is where you get to be creative.
4. Prime. Add two coats of primer to your tray and wooden pieces. Allow each coat to fully dry. Zinsser oil-based primer can be found here and is a good choice for faster drying time.
5. Paint. Bring the design you created earlier to life. Use any color paint that strikes you; the brighter the color, the more the design will stand out.
6. Spray paint. Give the wood a nicer looking finish by spray painting each piece. Choose any color that matches your design. Allow your paint to fully dry.
7. Reassemble. Screw the wooden pieces back onto the tray and there you have it. A customized tray to use for whatever your heart desires.