No matter where you live or what you do, your home should be the place you go for comfort and coziness. Add to the coziness by closing in the space with furniture, hanging curtains and adding fresh flowers or some personalized wall art. Let us show you our favorite comfy swaps in three different living rooms.
Warm up a family room fireplace
Photo credit: VizArch/iStock/360/Getty Images
This warm family room looks cold as ice with a barren living space. But with a wonderful wall addition, this room should be closed in and facing its largest focal point. Cozy it up by using a sectional and a large upholstered chair to close in the area and bring light in with bright accents. A rug that combines color with the gray in the couch and wall will blend well with like-colored throw pillows and accent furniture. Make the space look lived-in with personalized wall art and some friendly succulents in the space next to the fireplace. Encourage comfort with books on the table and a lovely throw.
- Catalina sectional in metal (Pottery Barn, $3,425 – $4,295)
- Plum & Bow large fade out vase (Urban Outfitters, $34)
- Magnolia coffee table (Wayfair.com, $454)
- Wall art (Nordstrom, $39)
- Taraval chair with oak base (Crate & Barrel, $1,499)
- Mosaic triangles wool rug (West Elm, $69 – $799)
Create a welcoming New York penthouse
Photo credit: Jupiterimages/Photos.com/360/Getty Images
New York City is the Big Apple and home of city lights, but this penthouse looks a little dim. A nice space with large wall-to-wall windows, this room is well-organized but just needs to be a bit more welcoming. Make the boring setup cozy by adding a comfy love seat, a sophisticated chair and a modern coffee table. Add a striped rug to mix in well with the neutral shades of the room. Tie in some heart of the city with an ode to New York on the wall and metallic candles for cuddling up beneath the city’s bright lights. Don’t forget The New York Times and New York Magazine for light reading.
- Charcoal luxe love seat slipcover (World Market, $200)
- Strati coffee table (Copenhagen, $495)
- Curved wing upholstered grey chair (Overstock.com, $290)
- Olin black rug (Crate and Barrel, $20 – $299)
- NYC wall art (Nordstrom, $39)
- Manta metallic candles (Z Gallerie, $15)
Spruce up a formal living room
Photo credit: John Lund/Tom Penpark/Blend Images/Getty Images
While a formal living room should look sharp, it definitely does not need to look dull. Because it has only a little furniture, this elongated space can be transformed with a few comfy additions. Liven it up a bit by enclosing the area with an upholstered club chair, a tufted ottoman and an area rug. Condense the space into its own room by hanging silk curtains in a neutral but slightly metallic shade. Add a floor lamp between the sectional and the couch and place a flower arrangement on the ottoman to add a homey vibe. Place a wreath in the middle of the mirror for added beauty.
- Club chair (Wayfair, $412)
- Silk drape curtains in wheat (Pottery Barn, $129 – $359)
- Tatiana tufted wool rug (World Market, $450)
- Carmen ottoman (Pier 1, $300)
- Aged bronze indoor floor lamp (Lowes, $170)
- Large magnolias (Z Gallerie, $45)