How to brighten up your bedroom fast
Spring is right around the corner. Use these tips and tricks to brighten up your bedroom just in time for warmer weather.
Nathan Fischer, Ace Hardware’s design expert and designer of the above room, shares a few great tips for brightening up a bedroom quickly using white.
- Using white as a wall color for your bedroom is timeless, and when done right brings in a fresh and peaceful feeling.
- Be sure to use the right white. For a cool and modern feeling, use a white with a blue undertone. For a warm and cozy feeling, use a white with a slight yellow undertone, like Clark+Kensington Chalk.
- With a white wall, be sure to add some warmth with wood tones. To keep your bedroom from having too much contrast, don’t use all dark finish/espresso wood tones. Mix in some lighter finishes. Gray tones, whitewash tones, and light woods are good to mix in.
- Don’t forget pillows. The more the merrier. This is where you can bring in the color and pattern that will brighten up your room. Add them to your bed and to a chair or bench if you have one. Put your brightest, most fun pillow in the very front of the others. Down pillow fills improve the look and easily make pillows look softer and fluffier. They are well worth the slight price increase.
- Find other opportunities to bring in white when possible. Lamp shades/lamps are a great place to do this. For a classic white-on-white look, white drapery on white walls can look stunning and clean. A white comforter or bed cover never goes out of style, and will tie in with anything. If you have wood flooring, try a soft off-white rug to lighten up your flooring.
Emily Meyer, designer and co-founder of Tea Collection, weighs in on the best ways to brighten a bedroom quickly.
"I believe the bedroom is the most peaceful place in the home... everyone deserves a place to come to full rest — a place for reflection."
Emily suggests incorporating items like these into your bedroom:
- Wallpaper with a touch of metallic like this Iris and Coronata Star wallpaper. (Osborne & Little)
- A little sparkle with tassel garlands from Confetti System. (Confetti System, $130)
- And great light with a bit of whimsy like this bubble chandelier. I love the mix of textures in the chandelier, the cotton rope with the clear bulbs. Y-lighting is a great resource for lots of nice lighting brands. (Y Lighting, $3,400)
- Finally, something to reflect upon, like these mirrored frames. I love the idea of a mirrored frame — you can see your own warm smile when you look at photos of the ones you love. (West Elm, $19)
Catie Parrish, chief homemaker at Wayfair's Ideas & Advice, provides a few fun and bright ideas for adding a splash of color to your bedroom to help brighten the space.
- Bright colors elicit happiness and comfort; so why not make up your bed with fun linens? (Wayfair, $1,325)
- Buy pillows in fun colors. This budget-friendly update is just what you need to liven up the cold days of winter. I love tangerine, turquoise, magenta, sunflower yellow and kelly green for spring. (Wayfair, $27)
- Instead of painting the walls to add color, try painting your furniture for a fresh, unique look. An unfinished nightstand would look great painted a bright aqua, peppy lemon or chic charcoal gray. (Wayfair, $105)
- Create a cheerful bedside table with lamps in a playful hue. This set of two is a steal, and the lamps are just the right height (between 24 and 26 inches tall) for a nightstand. (Wayfair, $157)
- Storage bins and boxes in bold colors and fun patterns will immediately enliven a small bedroom (not to mention keep it organized!). (Wayfair, $60)