6 Simple home updates for the busy mom
Updating your home yourself can save a ton of dough, but ain't nobody got time for that! Here are our simple ideas for high-impact home updates that even the busiest mom can do in one evening.
Idea 1: Create a faux mural
Estimated time: One to two hours
A new coat of paint is one of the cheapest and highest impact updates that money can buy. You can always just pick a bold color for an accent wall, but if you're looking for something extra special, try your hand at creating a faux mural. The end result is easier than it sounds and doesn't actually require any artistic talent.
- Drop cloth
- Paint, brushes and rollers
- Blue painter's tape
- Spray adhesive
- A large and bold poster print
- Pick out a background color for the accent wall. You will want the color to be bold and to match the colors in the print you've selected (Ikea has cheap, bright prints that work well).
- Sand the chosen wall to make sure it is as smooth as possible, particularly where you apply the print.
- Paint the entire accent wall, making sure the coverage is good.
- Trim any borders off the print you've selected, and apply a layer of spray adhesive to the back.
- Carefully and smoothly apply the print to the wall, ensuring corners are firmly secured by adhesive.
Idea 2: Accessorize with pillows
Estimated time: 30 minutes
- Pin-on rosettes
- Purchase a couple of low-cost pillows that add a pop of color to your living room.
- If you want to go above and beyond, pin rosettes you purchase from a fabric store to the pillows for a touch of personality.