Man brunch: Serve Dad a manly meal
Get Dad's special day started off right with an extravagant brunch of bacon, booze and more!
Celebrate Father's Day by making a breakfast fit for a king. Start with a whiskey-spiked coffee sure to put hair on his chest, followed by loaded savory waffles. These recipes boast big flavors that will set a celebratory tone.
Wake-up call spiked cold brew
Make his coffee even stronger with spicy rye and aromatic bitters, balanced by a hint of sweet maple.
- 6 ounces cold-brewed coffee
- 3 ounces rye whiskey
- 1/2 ounce maple syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into rocks glasses.
Bacon cheddar jalapeño waffles
These waffles are amped up with a salty-hot combination of bacon, cheddar and jalapeño. Add contrasting flavor with sour cream and cilantro.
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh jalapeño (about 1 large jalapeño), finely chopped
- For serving: fried eggs, sour cream, hot sauce and fresh cilantro
- In a medium pan over medium-high heat, fry the bacon until crispy on both sides. Move to a plate and set aside. Once cool enough to handle, crumble the bacon into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg yolks and melted butter. In a medium bowl, use a handheld or stand mixer with a whisk attachment to beat the egg whites to medium peaks.
- Preheat a waffle iron to medium-high. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Stir the buttermilk mixture, bacon, cheddar cheese and jalapeño into the flour mixture until combined. Fold in the egg whites until just combined.
- Follow your waffle maker's instructions to cook the waffles until golden brown and crispy. Move the cooked waffles to the warm oven until all the waffles are cooked and ready to serve. Top with one or two fried eggs, a dollop of sour cream, hot sauce to taste and a garnish of cilantro.