Make a Valentine's Day gumdrop wreath
You can easily make a cute Valentine's Day wreath without much fuss. This gumdrop wreath is colorful and simple to make.
Valentine's Day is just around the corner. Why not decorate a door or window with an easy-to-make Valentine's Day wreath that is super-sweet? Gumdrop candies add the color and fun to this project!
Valentine’s Day gumdrop wreath
- 1 (12 inch) heart-shaped, soft foam wreath (you could also use a circle-shaped wreath)
- 4 pounds of candy gumdrops (you may decide to only use certain colors — if so, you may want to buy an extra bag)
- Round toothpicks (about 100), cut in half
- 6-inch piece of thin wire shaped to hang the wreath
- Clear packing tape (about 4 inches)
- Colorful ribbon (at least 16 inches long) to hang the completed wreath
- Cloth or newspaper to place on your work surface
- Wreath hanger for your door
- Optional: Sewing thimble, clear acrylic spray paint
- Decide which colors of candy you'll use for the wreath and place them in a bowl near your work area.
- Hold each toothpick in one hand (with your thumb and finger on either end) and cut it in half. You may want to wear protective glasses for this step. Lay the toothpick halves in one area of your workspace, near the candy.
- Stick the cut end of the toothpicks into the bottom of each gumdrop. You'll poke the pointy part of the toothpick into the wreath.
- Cut a 6-inch piece of wire and loop it around the top of the wreath. Tightly twist the top of it together. Use the clear tape to secure the wire to the wreath so it doesn't move around. You may need someone to help you with this step. (Don't worry how this will look since you'll cover it with ribbon when the wreath is finished.)
- Decide your color pattern/order (for example, red candy followed by white, followed by purple). You’ll likely have four or five rows of candy in the wreath when finished. You do not need any for the bottom of the wreath.
- Lay the wreath flat on your work surface and press the gumdrops into the wreath, starting with one row at a time. You may want to wear a sewing thimble for this step to keep the toothpicks from popping up from the top of the candy and poking your finger.
- Make sure you place the gumdrops as close to each other as possible, and press them into the wreath so the bottom of the candy is flush with the foam wreath.
- Tie your ribbon in around the wire and form a nice bow so it covers the wire.
- If you'd like, spray the wreath with clear acrylic spray paint to help preserve it. Once it's dry, hang the wire loop onto the wreath hanger. Adjust the bow as needed.