Bypass the prepacked Halloween makeup in the store, and head for the supermarket instead. With just a few ingredients, you can make your own batch of ghoulish cream to smear on your goblins’ faces. We’ve got the recipe.
Make it yourself
Dressing up for Halloween is so much fun! Enjoy it even more knowing that you and your little goblins prepared their faces for the frightful night. Face paint is inexpensive when you make it yourself, and it’s safer than a mask that can obscure vision. Try these ghoulish recipes yourself!
Homemade face make up
- 1 tsp Corn starch
- 1/2 tsp Water
- 1/2 tsp Cold cream
- Food coloring
- Stir together starch and cold cream until well blended. Add water and stir, then add food coloring.
- Wash your face and any area that you will be applying the makeup to. Dry thoroughly. Use fingertips to spread onto large areas. Use a small paint brush to paint designs on face. The makeup can be easily removed with soap and water. Store in airtight container.
- Deep blue powder eyeshadow
- Charcoal or smoke gray powder eyeshadow
- Shimmery green powder eyeshadow
- Make up brush
- Using a blot of deep blue powder eye shadow, apply with a wet make up brush. Use your fingertips to add blots of charcoal gray and blue shadows.
- Touch up the edges with a shimmery olive green. Smudge the bruise to complete.
- 1/2 Bottle of light corn syrup
- Very hot water
- Squirt of liquid soap
- Red food coloring
- Blue or green food coloring (optional)
- Pour light corn syrup into a bowl and add hot water sparingly, adding and stirring until you have the right consistency.
- Add a squirt of liquid soap to make it the blood easy to clean off later. Tint with red food coloring. You may add a drop of blue or green if you like to make the blood a darker color
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Smear on as needed!