Mother's Day crafts for kids age 9 through 12
The older kids (nine to 12 years old) in mom's life may want to present a more mature craft to their moms this year than their younger counterparts. Through creativity and careful crafting, these fun Mother's Day crafts will leave mom realizing that her babies are growing up. Of course, a little extra supervision will help these ambitious kids create a long-lasting memory safely and neatly.
Why not take something that already exists and spice it up a bit? Amy Child Marella, floral expert and owner of The Hidden Garden in Los Angeles, suggests decorating some of those vases you have hanging around the house. A small, square glass vase that is decorated can look better than just a see-through view of flower stems.
What you need:
Colored rocks or other filler for the vase
- Take a beautiful piece of fabric (recycled concert t-shirts, pillow shams, or something new that Mom will love) and spray-glue it around the vase, making a sleeve over the glass.
- Wrap a ribbon around the vase and tie it in a single knot, or create a series of French knots up the back of the vase.
- Fill the vase with colored rocks or cut glass for added shimmer.
- Add a little bling to your vase with a strip of rhinestones around the middle.
- Fill the vase with Mom's favorite blossoms, or ask your florist to fill and send it for you.
Air freshener ornaments
To surround Mom in delicious aromas, make these air freshener ornaments for her this Mother's Day. Rachel at Create-Kids-Crafts.com shows us how easy it is to turn just three common ingredients into something that will leave the house smelling great even when this mom-honoring day is done!
What you need:
1/2 cup cinnamon
1/2 cup applesauce
1 plastic Ziploc sandwich bag
- Pour cinnamon and applesauce into Ziploc bag.
- Seal bag and knead until mixture turns to dough.
- Allow your dough creations to air-dry for 12 hours or until hard.
- Suggestion: Use cookie cutters to make really great, very fragrant tree ornaments or air fresheners. Roll out dough between two sheets of wax paper to 1/4 to 1/2 inch in thickness — no thinner.