Wicked Witch Cake
I first made this themed cake (pictured) for my daughter's Halloween party a few years ago. The cake in the photograph was a regular cake with regular frosting, but this year I will be making a low-carb version! The low-carb cake is made by making two cakes -- one round and one a rectangular -- and shaping into a witch's face and hat, seen in profile. The frosting is made with cream cheese and Splenda. You can then decorate with sugar-free gummi worms, and any other horrible Halloween sugar-free candies! Here's how to make it!
For the cakes:
4 cups almond flour
2 cups unsalted butter (room temperature) (plus 1 tablespoon for greasing)
6 tablespoons Splenda (sucralose)
10 large eggs
2 generous teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the frosting:
2 (8-ounce ) packages cream cheese
1 cup Splenda (sucralose)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup whole milk*
Green food coloring (for the face)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon whole milk*
1 tablespoon Splenda (for the hat)
17 Sugar-free Gummi Worms (Haribo), plus your choice of any other sugar-free Halloween candy shapes for decoration only
*Use low-carb milk if desired
1. Grease and line the bottoms of an 8-inch round and a 6 x 10-inch rectangular cake pans with butter and greaseproof paper. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Place all the ingredients for the cake in a food processor and mix until smooth.
3. Divide the mixture between the two pans and smooth the top. Bake for approximately 30 minutes until the cakes are springy on top and a toothpick comes out clean.
4. Remove from the oven and leave for 5 minutes on a cooling rack. Loosen the sides with a knife and carefully remove the cakes from the pans, peel off the greaseproof paper and allow to cool completely on the cooling rack.
5. While the cakes are cooling, icreate a paper "pattern" for your cakes. Using the bottoms of the cake pans as templates, cut out a circle and a rectangle on two pieces of paper. To create the hat, place the rectangle on a surface with the short sides at the top and bottom. Draw a large triangle starting at the center of the top short side and coming down to both of the bottom corners of the lower short side. Cut this long tall triangle out, which will form the main section for the hat. You will be left with two long thin triangles from either side of the hat, and these can be fashioned to form the pointed brim of the hat.
6. For the face, draw a witch's profile on the left hand side of your circle of paper -- a large nose and chin, and cut these out, cutting away slightly under the chin to form the beginnings of a neck. You can use the photograph as a guide.
7. Next, make the frosting by putting the first four ingredients into a food processor and processing until smooth. Divide this mixture into two, and place in two medium-sized bowls. Add some green food coloring to one bowl and mix well until you have the desired shade of green for the witch's face. In the remaining bowl, mix in the cocoa, 1 extra tablespoon of milk* and 1 extra tablespoon of Splenda. Stir well until combined.
8. Using your paper templates, cut the cooled cakes into the shapes required for the hat and face. Cover the hat section with the chocolate frosting and the face with the green frosting, and smooth the surfaces with the flat side of a knife or a spatula. Cut two small triangular pieces from the leftover hat pieces for the hat brim. Cover these with chocolate frosting also.
9. Prepare the back of a large tray or wooden board big enough to take the finished cake by covering with kitchen foil, and carefully lift the pieces of the cake onto the board and assemble to make the finished cake. Again, you can use the photograph as a guide.
10. As a finishing touch, use the sugar-free gummi worms for the witch's hair and to decorate her hat. You can use sugar-free gummi worms for her mouth and eyebrow, cutting a small piece to make an eye as well. If you like, other sugar-free Halloween candies can also be used to decorate the hat.
Makes about 20 servings.
Per serving: 6.61g carbs, 2.53g fiber, 9.29g protein, 38.39g fat, 180.74mg cholesterol, 144.46mg sodium, 409.92 calories