This Christmas, gift-giving is getting a makeover. The latest trend in gift wrapping is all about combining traditional colours with fresh wrapping concepts. Get all your inspiration right here.
Christmas is becoming a statement in decor as people get more and more creative with their decorating ideas. The ultimate decor accessory at this time of year is a beautifully-wrapped gift under the tree. Don’t wait until Christmas Eve to unveil your skills, get wrapping early so everyone can admire your creativity. Just remember to instigate the look-but-don’t-touch rule.
More playful holiday decorating ideas >>
When giving a gift to your neighbours or work colleagues, you want something thoughtful that can easily be produced en masse. A homemade trail mix is a great idea; scorched peanuts never go astray and roasted almonds are a well-liked treat. Don’t fall back on the old cellophane wrapping trick, though, try this simple Christmas cone instead.
Try these edible Christmas decorations >>
- Wrapping paper
- Sticky tape
- Red and green card
- Double-sided tape
- A marker
- Cut or tear off strips of wrapping paper that are 15-20 centimetres wide.
- Make a fold of 15-20 centimetres along the paper strip so you have a square shape. Cut or tear and repeat. You can just cut squares, but folding the paper over your cones will make them more durable and hold their shape better.
- Hold one corner of the square closest to you and roll an adjacent edge towards the opposite corner.
- Try to overlap the paper so the edge is on the side of the cone, not right in the middle.
- Secure with sticky tape, trying to keep it as inconspicuous as possible.
- Fill the cone with your treat mix.
- Pull the highest point of the cone forward over the front of the cone and secure it with a small piece of double-sided tape.
- Using 2 different colours of green card, draw some holly leaves by hand — you can use a template but we think hand drawing adds to the rustic, homemade appeal.
- Repeat the process with small circles from red card. You might be able to use a hole punch for the smaller ones.
- Write names of gift recipients on the lighter green card and then stick both a light and dark green leaf to the double-sided tape.
- Add another small piece of double-sided tape on top of the leaves and attach 3 berries.
- Repeat for however many you need. Tip: Get the kids to help by getting a row of sticky tape lengths ready for you, by adding the trail mix to the cones or by writing the names. Why not go all out and get them to decorate the paper before you roll them into cones.