Longing for a high-energy workout that will pump up your confidence and give you a sleek, sexy and powerful physique? Viveca Jensen, founder of Piloxing, has just the workout for you. We caught up with Jensen to get the deets on Piloxing and her favorite muscle-sculpting moves.
Get a sexy, sleek, powerful bod
Meet Viveca Jensen
Jensen is the CEO of the Piloxing Academy and V-Pilates studio in Burbank, California. The celebrity trainer, who has an extensive background in dance, Pilates and body building, is a fave among fit-seeking celebs such as Hilary Duff, Heather Morris, Kirsten Dunst, Vanessa Hudgens and more. Her studio has been featured on ET!, The Insider, The Doctors and Hollywood Live, while she and her Piloxing workout have gotten accolades in several magazines, including Shape, O Magazine, Women’s Health, Fitness Magazine, Elle and OK!. Jensen wants women to get enviably fit bodies, but her mission is also to inspire women to feel powerfully feminine on the inside, too.
What is Piloxing?
Piloxing is for the woman who is looking for an exciting workout that shreds calories, delivers core strength, creates lean muscles and leaves her feeling empowered. “Piloxing is a fitness program that blends the best of Pilates, boxing and dance into a high-energy interval workout that incorporates interval and barefoot training to burn maximum calories and increase stamina,” explains Jensen. “At the core of Piloxing is the principle that women are powerful and can [boost their self-esteem] by taking charge of their own health.”
Why try Piloxing?
Once you try it, you’ll be hooked. Not only has Jensen crafted Piloxing to burn calories and tone muscles, the fitness pro designed the program to make women powerful — physically and mentally. She says, “There have been times in my life where I’ve been put in a situation which made me feel weak and let down, so my mission through creating the Piloxing program was to empower women and let them know it’s OK to feel strong and beautiful in their own skin, even in times when we don’t feel so strong or confident.”
Jensen shares three of her favorite Piloxing moves.
Boxing side jab
This move strengthens your core muscles and trims up trouble zones, such as your triceps and your back at your bra line. (Good-bye, back fat!)
- Start position: Start from guard position, fists by your cheekbones. Plant your feet outside your hips, knees bent.
- Movement: Using your core muscles, jab to the right with your left arm, twisting your hip inward and lifting your heel as the jab goes across your body. Return to guard position and switch to the other side.
- Perform: 32 jabs on each side.
Pilates leg lift
This move targets your thighs, glutes, core and arms.
- Start position: Center yourself and slightly bend your right knee. Tighten your core and hold your arms straight in front of you, in line with your shoulders. Lift your left leg, keeping it straight, to a 45-degree angle.
- Movement: Do slow lifts (pumps) with your arms and straight leg, bringing the leg up toward 90 degrees on the lifts. Tighten the quads (front thigh muscles) on the leg that’s moving.
- Perform: 16 lifts each leg.
This move targets your glutes, outer thighs and core muscles; this is all butt and outer thigh. As always, you need to engage your core. Scoop your abs up — never let those abs muscles drop down toward the floor.
- Start position: Plant your right forearm on the floor with your elbow under your shoulder, bent at a 90-degree angle. Use your left arm to prop yourself up and keep your body stable. Bend your right knee.
- Movement: Raise your left leg to the side and make small circles forward, then reverse the circles, using your core muscles. Make sure your abs are engaged during the entire exercise, with your belly-button pulled back toward your spine.
- Perform: 16 circles forward, then 16 circles back. Switch legs.
The PILOXING System ($80) includes three 50-minute rounds of body conditioning and cardio plus two 15-minute power-sculpting workouts. With the DVDs, you’ll also get a pair of weighted PILOXING gloves, a nutritional guide and a 60-day calendar that will help you organize your workouts for maximum benefits.