Healthy grab-and-go breakfast ideas
Keeping your healthy New Year's resolution starts with breakfast! If you need to waken up your first meal of the day try these quick and simple meals you can take on the go!
Bake & Take Oatmeal
Cinnamon Raisin Variation
For cinnamon raising oatmeal, add in 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/8th of a cup of raisins before baking.
Chocolate Chip Variation
Sprinkle 1/8 cup miniature chocolate chips over the top of the oatmeal before baking.
Sprinkle 1/8 cup chopped hazelnuts over the top of the oatmeal before baking.
On a cold morning a warm breakfast can get your day off to a great start! But boxed flavors were last years oatmeal. Why not try a preservative free, healthy version of oatmeal? Bake ahead or while you are getting ready for the day and off you go with a healthy fitful meal!
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease and flour a small oven-proof bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. To save time, consider doing this the night before or even making a few and keeping them in sealed containers for future use!
- In a separate medium bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients. Combine with the dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly. Spoon into the prepared baking dish, and spread evenly.
- Garnish as desired. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. To test if the oatmeal is done insert a knife in the center. If ic comes out clean it's ready to go!
Pineapple banana smoothie
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Variation
Replace the 1 cup of frozen pineapple with 3/4 cup frozen strawberries. Continue as directed.
If you are trying to put more fruits and vegetables into your diet, no doubt you've considered making a smoothie! They are simple, quick, and a great way to add extra nutrients into your diet! Adding two cups of spinach to any smoothie will hardly affect the taste and add all your daily Vitamin A and 10% of your Iron all for just 14 calories! To get started try out these two smoothie recipes! Five minutes to make and a to go cup will get you out the door with a healthy meal to start your day!
If you're looking to save even more time, make two or three smoothies at a time. Put them in freezer safe containers and take out of the freezer an hour before you want to eat them. By the time you are showered and dressed, breakfast is served!
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup almond milk (we like to use the sweetened vanilla kind)
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/2 of a small banana
- Place your spinach in the blender.
- Add the almond milk and frappe until smooth.
- Add the frozen pineapple chunks and banana. Blend again until smooth.
Tired of the same old egg dishes? Try waking them up by putting them in a breakfast taco! Starting out the day with protein from the eggs and cheese and the fiber from the avocados will help keep you full until lunchtime!
- 2 large eggs
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/4 avocado, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons salsa (optional)
- 4 teaspoons Mexican Blend Cheese
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the eggs, stirring, until set, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide the eggs among the tortillas. Dividing evenly, top with the avocado, salsa, and cheese.