Fresh and fruity breakfast options for summer
Oatmeal may be the perfect morning meal on chilly winter mornings, but when the weather heats up, fresh and fruity breakfast recipes are at the top of the sunny season menu. Naturally sweet, low in calories and loaded with antioxidants, here are five healthy summer breakfast ideas featuring fresh fruit.
Toasted coconut and mango parfait
- 1/3 cup shaved coconut or coconut flakes
- 1 mango, pitted, peeled, diced
- 1-1/2 cups Greek yogurt
- Place coconut in a dry skillet over medium-high heat and toast coconut by shaking the skillet until the flakes are golden.
- Layer diced mango, yogurt and coconut flakes in clear parfait cups or wine glasses.
Blackberry clementine salad with lime
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blackberries
- 2 clementines, peeled, segmented
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons honey, warmed until easy to drizzle
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl then serve.
Blueberry cantaloupe smoothie
- 1-1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup diced cantaloupe
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- Handful of ice cubes (optional)
Place all ingredients in a blender and puree. Serve chilled.
Peaches and almond butter on toast
- 4 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- 4 tablespoons creamy almond butter
- 1 large ripe but firm peach, halved, pitted, thinly sliced
- A few dashes ground cinnamon
- Spread toast with almond butter.
- Top each piece of toast with peach slices and dust with cinnamon.
- Serve open-face.
Honey ricotta with cinnamon apples
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey, to taste
- 2 small apples, cored, diced
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste
- 3 tablespoons granola or chopped toasted walnuts
- In a food processor or blender, puree ricotta and honey.
- In a medium bowl, toss together apples, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Divide apples between two bowls.
- Top with ricotta and a sprinkling of granola or toasted sliced almonds.
Banana coconut freeze
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled, cut into chunks, frozen
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 ginger snap cookies, crushed
- Combine bananas and coconut milk in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Serve immediately, garnished with crushed ginger snaps.