If you like to walk for exercise, it’s time to lace up your walking shoes for a good cause. Dress for Success Worldwide, an international nonprofit that promotes the economic independence of disadvantaged women, has announced the return of the Power Walk for Dress for Success, taking place May 12, 2012, in 40 cities around the world.
The 5K walk this Saturday (May 12) promotes active, healthy lifestyle choices for women and families, and aims to remind participants about to the link between personal health and professional success. “Dress for Success exists to empower women toward financial independence,” said Joi Gordon, chief executive officer of Dress for Success Worldwide, in a statement about the event. “Paying attention to the critical role that health and wellness plays [in reaching] that goal is paramount. When we are healthy we perform optimally, we miss fewer days from work and we are more capable of taking care of ourselves and our families overall.”
Leading the international walk-for-wellness event is fitness favorite and workout queen Jillian Michaels, health and wellness expert, best-selling author and television personality. “I’m excited to return as the official spokesperson for the Power Walk for Dress for Success — the only international 5K dedicated to the promotion of active, healthy lifestyles for women,” said Michaels about her return to the event for the second consecutive year.
Get involved and get walking
The Power Walk for Dress for Success is open to the public, and participants are encouraged to create a team of friends, walk with family or even participate as a “virtual walker” online. This year’s event offers six unique options for supporters to participate. Register in one of the following ways:
- As an individual walker.
- As a power hero: Participants walk in honor of someone who has empowered them to succeed.
- As a student walker: Discounted registration fee available for currently enrolled students.
- As a “mom and me” team: Pairs power walkers with their moms to officially kick off their Mother’s Day weekend.
- As a “power pup”: Encourages walkers to bring their pooches and walk towards wellness together.
- As a “virtual walker”: We thought this last option was particularly cool. Participants who would like to support the Power Walk for Dress for Success but can’t physically attend the walk can register as a virtual walker and track the progress of their virtual walk team’s fundraising goals online.
About Dress for Success
Founded in 1997, Dress for Success is an international not-for-profit organization that promotes the economic independence of disadvantaged women by providing professional attire, a network of support and the career development tools to help women thrive in work and in life. Since starting operations, Dress for Success has expanded to more than 114 cities in the US, Australia, Canada, Ireland, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, the UK and the West Indies. To date, they have helped more than 650,000 women work toward self-sufficiency. Visit www.dressforsuccess.org to learn more.
More health tips, news and trends
Interview with Kym Johnson of Dancing with the Stars
Olympian Summer Sanders raises awareness for healthy legs
Summer skin safety for the whole family