If you haven’t heard of Softcup, it’s time to listen up and take notes. When it comes to period solutions, these reusable and disposable menstrual cups are at the forefront of a new period revolution. Check out how the Softcup may just solve some of the problems periods cause.
Softcup, the basics
The Softcup is a type of menstrual cup that is inserted into the vagina during your period to collect, rather than absorb, menstrual flow. Unlike some of the other menstrual cups on the market, the Softcup sits high in your vagina, around your cervix. This positioning helps ensure that when it has been inserted correctly, you won’t feel the cup while in use.
Made of a medical-grade material consisting of elastomers and mineral oil, the Softcup is completely hypoallergenic, non-absorbent and non-irritating. It has never been linked to toxic shock syndrome.
Two types of Softcup
Softcup is offered in two forms: disposable and reusable.
- The disposable type is designed to be disposed of after each individual use, offering similar disposability to tampons and pads. Unlike tampons and pads, Softcup’s longer wearability (up to 12 hours) means that you will generally use fewer Softcups over the course of a cycle than you would tampons or pads.
- The reusable type is actually designed to last an entire menstural cycle before being disposed. When the cup becomes full, or after 12 hours of usage, simply remove the Softcup, rinse it out and reinsert. Because this type lasts for an entire cycle, it helps to reduce waste while saving you money, making them a “greener,” more eco-friendly option.
Benefits of switching to Softcup
Change isn’t easy, but sometimes the benefits of trying something new outweigh the benefits of sticking to your old ways. Check out some of Softcup’s many benefits:
- Switching to Softcup can save you money. The Reusable Softcup comes in a 2-pack for less than $7, lasting you two months! That’s a big savings compared to pads or tampons. And, while the savings aren’t as great for disposable Softcup, a 24-pack only costs $11. If you’re using two a day for seven days, they should still last you two months!
- Using Softcup helps reduce waste. This is particularly true for the Reusable Softcup because you only use a single menstrual cup over the course of your entire period, but the Disposable Softcup can reduce waste, too. Just think about how many pads or tampons you go through on heavy days! You could cut that in half when using Softcup.
- You can wear Softcup during sex. Because Softcup sits high in your vagina, up against your cervix, it won’t interfere with… other things. So if you want to get frisky with your guy, go for it! Neither you nor he will notice; plus, the mess will be contained!
- Softcup is great for athletes and frequent travelers. The long wearability of Softcup lends itself nicely to plane rides, marathon business meetings and, well, marathons! You won’t have to tote lots of extra feminine products with you, and you won’t have to worry about scheduling extra bathroom breaks into your day.
- Softcup gets rid of the stink. Menstrual odor occurs when menstrual flow is exposed to air. Because Softcup catches and contains fluids before they’re exposed to air, the corresponding odor is eliminated.
- Softcup is string and wing free. If you’ve ever worried about a string or a wing showing when you’re wearing a bathing suit or mini skirt, you’re not alone! With Softcup, because there are no strings or wings to contend with, you’ll never have to second-guess your clothing choices while on your period.