Dental-friendly Halloween recipes
Slimy Lime Punch
Make sure to use a very large bowl or a saucepan with high sides when making this frothy mixture — the meringue powder will really foam up when you start whisking. This slimy recipe was adapted from Parents Magazine.
- 2 tubes red decorating gel
- Powdered lemonade mix – to make 2 quarts
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon meringue powder
- 2 liters seltzer water
- 10 drops green food coloring
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 peeled and sliced orange
- 1 lime, sliced into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- Squeeze red gel down the inside of 12 small, clear glasses. Let dry for about 10 minutes.
- In an extra-large bowl, combine lemonade mix, sugar and meringue powder. Slowly pour in seltzer, whisking continually until combined.
- Stir in green and yellow food coloring. Add sliced fruit and berries for color. Pour punch into glasses and serve.
Pumpkin Cookie Pops
Pumpkin shaped cookies on a stick are a nice change from the usual cookie treat. This cookie pops recipe is adapted from www.pumpkinnook.com.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup canned or fresh cooked pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 20 wooden sticks (tongue depressors or Popsicle sticks work best)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer beat the butter, brown sugar and orange zest. Add the pumpkin, egg yolk and vanilla, and blend.
- Gradually add the flour and spices. Mix with your hands to create a soft dough. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into two portions. Roll out each piece to 1/4-inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut into pumpkin shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and securely insert a wooden stick into the bottom half of each pumpkin cookie.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Decorate with your favorite frosting and Halloween décor.
For more dental-friendly information, visit http://braces.org/nohm/.