Will & Grace's Sean Hayes Opens Up About His Terrifying Health Scare

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:28 p.m. ET
Image: Gregg DeGuire/Contributor/Getty Images

Two weeks ago, Sean Hayes had to skip a visit to The Ellen DeGeneres Show, and as we all know, you don't cancel on DeGeneres unless you have a good reason. Turns out, Hayes had a good reason: His small intestine burst.

Yes, he's fine now, and yes that's as gross as it sounds.

As Hayes tells DeGeneres, one night, he felt an excruciating pain in his stomach and went to the ER. That was a good move, because he found out that his small intestine burst open and was poisoning his body. To fix it, he tells DeGeneres that the doctors went in through his belly button and "clipped off the bad part and put it back together, you know, with, like, a chip clip," adding that now his potato chips are stale. (A small price to pay for an intact small intestine, though.)

Loading...

The medical term for what happened to Hayes is gastrointestinal perforation, and it happens when a hole forms in your stomach, small intestine or large intestine. Symptoms include severe stomach pain, fever, vomiting, chills and nausea, and the condition requires immediate medical attention.

More: You Should Be Pooping in This Position

GP can happen in conjunction with other illnesses, including appendicitis, diverticulitis, bowel conditions, gallstones and stomach ulcers, among others. It can also happen as a result of blunt trauma to the abdomen (including a knife or gunshot wound) or abdominal surgery. Smoking and alcohol use increase chances of getting GP.

More: Why The "Mad Pooper" May Not Be Able to Hold It

Hayes was in his usual energetic form when he did finally make his appearance on Ellen, and we're so happy his intestine is no longer poisoning his body from within and that's he's feeling better.

Comments