How to turn a casual bike ride into a great workout
Get those wheels turning, literally, and let your creative juices start flowing when you step outside the box and try something new. Ride instead of drive for a change and burn a few extra calories while you're at it. When temps start to warm up, I love to get out and get fit in different ways that will keep me healthy while having fun. If you mix up your basic workout routine you can challenge your body, and your brain to work harder.
For starters, by simply taking your two wheels out to explore or do every day errands, you can get some fresh air and your blood flowing, even if you're not setting out for an actual "workout." This will prevent you from falling into a rut and keep you on your toes when it comes to staying active.
Just by being motivated to move and making smart choices when it comes to snacks and energy drinks, you can start to be proactive when it comes to leading a healthy lifestyle.
Below are a few fun ways to amp up your ride and burn calories while you cruise:
- Start with a few simple stretches to work out the kinks. Touch your toes with legs straight for hamstrings and then stand up and bend one leg back at the knee grabbing your foot to stretch quads.
- Hop on your bike and warm up for about five minutes at a slow pace with no hills.
- Work up to a faster speed and maintain this for a five-minute ride and get the heart pumping.
- Recover and bring down your speed for about two to four minutes.
- Then either ride up hill, or raise the resistance and maintain this for about three to five minutes.
- Recover again and even out to a cruising pace for about two minutes.
- Increase the speed again and maintain and pedal for about three to five minutes.
- Try one more hill or challenging resistance for about three minutes, then recover for two minutes.
- After a ride, I like to stretch again with the beginning steps and then walk for about five minutes to stretch my legs and get my heart rate back to normal.
Get cruising, girls!
This post is sponsored by vitaminwater zero and SheKnows.