7 Daily strategies for living a long life
Getting older comes with health challenges. Exercise, nutritious foods, regular doctor visits and health screenings, getting enough sleep and staying active all reduce the risk of chronic illness and disability. Find ways to incorporate those habits into your life by doing things you already love.
Here are seven ways to promote a healthy lifestyle.
1. Keep a good attitude
- Notice your words and try not to use the words always and never.
- Look at things as they are — but not worse than they are.
- Try to see difficulties as temporary.
2. Have purpose
- Get a blank sheet of paper — or open a Word doc.
- At the top of the page, write, "What is my true purpose in life?"
- Write an answer — whatever pops into your head. It doesn't have to be a complete sentence.
- Repeat step three until you write an answer that makes you cry.
- You have found your purpose.
3. Eat right, get enough sleep and stay engaged
- Engage with like-minded people.
- Find support systems.
- Eat healthy foods.
- Don't drink too much alcohol.
- Respect your body.
- Have fun.
4. Use it or lose it
- Do a physical exercise every day (walking for 30 minutes counts!)
- Take a yoga class (chair yoga counts!)
- Go outside and breathe fresh air.
- Get up and move around, even if you're just stretching or walking between rooms.
5. Make sure blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes are under control
- Get a yearly physical.
- Follow your doctor's orders — or get a second opinion if you really disagree.
- Eat healthy and nutritious foods.
- Listen to your body when it seems like something is wrong.
- Exercise in some way each day.
6. Listen to others, be mindful and be willing to change
- Practice mindfulness meditation every day.
- Look for the good in the world.
- Make a point to think about things for which you are grateful.
7. Practice Moderation
- Take it easy, because life isn't a race.
- Be kind to yourself and to others.
- Don't overindulge in anything — food, alcohol, exercise or gossip.
- Be conscious of your body and mind.
- Minimize sedentary behavior. Get out of your chair and move around!
Celebrate what you have and minimize regret. Happy aging to you!