Forget fancy gyms and expensive memberships — to get a really great workout, all you need to do is head outside. We enlisted celebrity trainer Christian Miranda from One PTs to help whip you into shape for summer. Whether you’ve got access to a huge beach or a tiny patch of grass, these PT-approved workouts can be done anywhere, anytime. Hop to it!
Total body workout
If you want to work your whole body, but only have half-an-hour, this workout will not only tone you up, but torch serious calories at the same time. Don’t forget your towel — you’ll be sweating in no time!
Supplies: A kettlebell
Warm up (for your abs)
- 20 x crunches
- 20 x leg raises
- 40 x scissors
- 40 x bicycles
- 20 x crunches to finish off
Repeat 10 sets of 20 seconds each.
Spend 2 minutes on each of these sets and then repeat 3 times.
- 20 x pushups + 10 x burpees + 20 x pushups
- 20 x squats + 10 x squat jumps + 20 x squats
- 20 x crunches + 10 x sit-ups + 20 x crunches
- 20 x left arm kettlebell swings + 10 x normal kettlebell swings + 20 x right arm kettlebell swings
If you’re puffing and panting, you’re doing it right! Why not grab a friend and motivate each other?
Full body blaster
In this express workout, you’ll be spending time on your lower body, upper body and core — so by the time the clock hits 30 minutes, you will have worked your entire body. Since you’ve only got half-an-hour, try to work at a really high intensity so you get more bang for your buck.
Supplies: Just yourself!
Do 16, then 12, 8 and 4 reps of each exercise.
- 20 x walking lunges
- 20 x squat jumps
- 20 x squat pulses
Upper body and core
Do the same for this one, so 16, then 12, 8 and 4 reps of exercise.
- 20 x superman
- 20 x dips
- 20 x pushups (you can do normal ones, or place your hands in a narrow or wide position — depends on how much you want to challenge yourself)
Same thing here: 16, 12, 8 and then 4 reps.
- 20 x crunches
- 20 x single leg bicycles on each side
- 20 x leg crunches
Bored with your workouts? Check out the hottest fitness rends for 2013 >>
Legs, butt and more legs
Do you want lean legs for summer? What about a shapely butt that looks amazing in a bikini? Well, if you want to focus on your lower body, you can’t beat these exercises. In just 30 minutes, you’ll give your legs and butt a workout they won’t easily forget!
In between each of these exercises, run 250 metres — don’t worry, you’ll have a few mini breaks!
- 10 x squats with 5 seconds rest in between. Repeat 7 times.
- 10 x step-ups with 10 seconds rest in between. Repeat 6 times.
- 10 x mountain climbers with 15 seconds rest in between. Repeat 5 times.
- 10 x walking lunges with 20 seconds rest in between. Repeat 4 times.
- 3 x squat jumps with 25 seconds rest in between. Repeat 3 times.
- 10 x box jumps with 30 seconds rest in between. Repeat 3 times.
- 10 burpees to finish off!