Man dies inside malfunctioning sauna: How can you stay safe?
A disturbing story out of Florida tells the sad tale of a 68-year-old man who was found burned beyond recognition in the sauna he used on a regular basis.
While the cause of Dennis Antiporek's death has yet to be determined, his family members are not only feeling the loss, but they are angry because the sauna he was found in wasn't working right.
Antiporek had left a note on his door that he was headed to the sauna, where he spent some time each day to help treat his neuropathy. His daughter went to look for him when he hadn't returned after a few hours, and the sight she was greeted with was horrific — her father's body was curled in a fetal position by the door, and not only was his skin burned to a crisp, but chunks of flesh were on the bench and the floor.
Initial reports show that the timer in the sauna was broken, and it's believed the coils malfunctioned — this probably resulted in the temperature inside the sauna going far higher than it should have. While the medical examiner will conduct an autopsy to find out what caused his death, the family is going ahead and filing a suit against the condos where the sauna is located as well as the company that manages the sauna.
This is definitely a worst-case scenario, and it's unlikely to happen to you. That doesn't mean, however, you don't have to keep safety in mind when it comes to visiting a sauna.
- Keep your visits short — experts recommend 15 to 20 minutes max.
- Don't drink alcohol before or after your session.
- Cool down afterward, and drink a couple glasses of water.
- Avoid saunas if you're ill, and if you have a heart problem, ask your doctor before partaking.
- Take a friend with you so that if you run into trouble, you have someone there to help you.
- Make sure the sauna you visit receives regular maintenance.
It's so sad that this man's family members had to discover him in such a horrific state, and it will likely be an image they will never be able to erase from their minds.