Life can be busy and, at times, stressful. When the stress starts to build, do yourself a favour and give yourself a break!
Getting stressed out can happen anywhere: at work, home or while busy running your kids to their activities and doing errands. When life starts to get you down, take some you-time with these quick activities to clear your head and get you back on track.
- Take a quick walk around the block.
- Do some simple stretching in your office.
- Run up and down a few flights of stairs.
- Get out of the office and into the fresh air. Head to a close-by park and do some breathing exercises.
- Read a few passages from a motivational website or book.
- Take time to daydream.
- Go window shopping on your break.
- Enjoy people-watching at lunch.
- Head to the gym.
- Meet your best friend at lunch or on a coffee break.
- Get out your iPod and listen to soothing music.
- Watch a favourite comedy show.
- Pop in a feel-good movie, make a bowl of popcorn and relax.
- Have a tickle fight with your kids.
- Call up a friend and have a gabfest.
- Take your dog to the dog park and watch him run and play.
- Cuddle in with your pets.
- Have some yummy comfort food, such as mac and cheese or homemade soup.
- Bake chocolate chip cookies.
- Dim the lights, light a few candles and take a hot bath with lavender-scented bath oil.
- Go through old photos and relive the memories.
- Have a 20-minute nap to refresh your mind.
- Put on some great music and dance.
- Immerse yourself in a hobby. Try painting, crafting or photography.
- Get lost in a good book.
- Write positive affirmations in a gratitude journal.
- Take up gardening.
While out and about
- Take a break at your local coffee shop. Have a calming herbal tea and watch the world go by.
- Stop into an art gallery and lose yourself in the beauty you see.
- Turn up the radio in your car and sing out loud.
- Practise random acts of kindness on strangers.
- Pop into a pet store and watch the fish in the aquarium.
- Stop at a park and enjoy the serenity of nature.
- Bring out your camera and take photos of things that inspire you.
- Head to the zoo to watch the apes and monkeys.
- Take time to smell the roses (as well as the other flowers) at a botanical garden or garden centre.
- Take a power walk through your neighbourhood.