There are two types of people in the world: People who lurrrv meet-cutes, and people who think they’re just Hollywood’s way of making us feel perpetually disappointed about our love lives. No matter where you fall on the spectrum, meet-cutes can (and do) happen. No, they might not happen as conveniently as they do in the movies, but they can be just as meaningful.
The trick is to not become a meet-cute wannabe: “The true meet-cute is innocent and unplanned,” says relationship expert April Masini. “So if you try, you’ve defeated the purpose. The meet will happen and the cute may or may not. Go with fate.”
That’s not to say you can’t stack the deck in your favor: You’re not going to experience a meet-cute if you’re sitting on your ass wallowing about the ones going on around you. “The more you put yourself out there, the more likely the cute will be organic,” says Masini. “There are a lot of ways to put yourself in a Carrie Bradshaw situation.” Just think: What would Carrie do? Then do that.
Of course, there’s the flip side of the coin (also known as the most likely side to happen to you), where you meet someone at the most inconvenient, unexpected and potentially embarrassing moment in time.
1. Your life is a total effing mess.
GIF Credit: Tumblr
2. You’re involved with the guy you think you’re meant to be with.
GIF Credit: SMMC4lyfe/YouTube
3. You’re really clumsy.
GIF Credit: Couturexchick/YouTube
4. You’re hopelessly cynical… and kind of a bitch about it.
GIF Credit: I’m in MY Crisis Core/YouTube
5. You had way too much to drink.
GIF Credit: foxhomeent/YouTube
6. You’re trying to win back the d-bag who dumped you.
GIF Credit: zuguidemovietrailers/YouTube
7. You just said, “I carried a watermelon.”
GIF Credit: kajinhiro/YouTube
8. You spend a lot of time in elevators.
GIF Credit: Emin Ozturk/YouTube
9. You’re blinded by your coffee withdrawal.
GIF Credit: invaderzim1414/YouTube
10. You have a hate-on for the new guy at work.
GIF Credit: Sony Pictures Entertainment/YouTube
11. You’re a full-blown commitment phobe.
GIF Credit: Pablo Pronsky/YouTube
12. You recently bumped into your BFF from high school.