3 Healthy recipes that hydrate your body
Hydration is important because our bodies are primarily made of water. When temperatures heat up, we need to increase our water intake. Drinking plain water is great! However, we can also incorporate water-dense foods into our daily meals and snacks to help hydrate our bodies. The following recipes contain water-dense foods.
Coconut yogurt with grapefruit
Grapefruit is hydrating and it's an antioxidant-packed fruit. It adds sweetness and zingy flavor to this creamy balanced breakfast. Slivered almonds add crunch as well as protein, and chia seeds provide a source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- 1 medium grapefruit
- 1 cup coconut yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons almonds, slivered
- 1 tablespoon coconut, shredded
- Peel and cut the grapefruit into 1/2-inch-sized pieces.
- Layer the grapefruit at the bottom of your cup or bowl, top with the coconut yogurt and sprinkle the chia seeds and almonds.
- Add another layer of grapefruit, then the coconut yogurt and finish with a topping of slivered almonds, chia seeds and shredded coconut.
Jicama, carrots and avocado dip
Jicama and carrots are water-packed and are the perfect crunchy go-to on a warm day. Dip veggies in this creamy avocado dipping sauce!
- 2 large carrots
- 1/8 medium jicama
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh green onions, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Pinch of sea salt
- Wash, peel and slice jicama and carrots into skinny sticks.
- Next, in a medium food processor, add the avocado, cilantro, green onions, lime juice and sea salt.
- Pulse together to create a thick and creamy consistency.
Cucumber cabbage salad
This recipe is great for lunch or dinner. It's quick to make and refreshing.
- 1/4 large purple cabbage
- 1/4 large white cabbage
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 fresh lemon, juiced
- Pinch of sea salt
- Drain and rinse the black beans and set them aside.
- Wash and thinly slice both cabbages, and add them to a large bowl.
- Wash and chop the cucumber. Then, add the cucumbers and black beans to the bowl.
- Lastly, add olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt, and toss everything together.