Fall seasonal detox foods
Fruits and vegetables that are nutrient dense — containing a variety of vitamins and minerals — will help support your liver’s natural cleansing and detoxification process. These types of foods also naturally contain fiber. A fibrous diet is key for regular elimination, which is one of the body’s main methods for detoxification.
- Apple: Fiber and antioxidant vitamin C
- Pear: Fiber, copper, vitamin C and vitamin K
- Broccoli: Fiber, calcium, chromium, zinc, vitamin E and manganese
- Cauliflower: Fiber, vitamin B6, magnesium and potassium
- Butternut squash: Fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C and folate
In one day, you can enjoy all five foods!
Lunch: Fall detox bowl
- 1 small butternut squash
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cups broccoli
- 4 tablespoons almonds, slivered
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Chop the butternut squash in half and then, with a spoon, scoop out the seeds.
- Skin the butternut squash and then dice it into 1/2-inch squares.
- Chop the cauliflower into small florets.
- Toss squash and cauliflower with one tablespoon of coconut oil and place on a baking sheet to roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, as squash and cauliflower are cooking, wash and chop broccoli and add it to a medium-sized bowl.
- Combine broccoli with slivered almonds, fresh-squeezed lemon juice, olive oil and sea salt.
- When squash and cauliflower are finished cooking, let them cool for 15 minutes and then add them to the bowl and toss everything together. Enjoy!
Afternoon snack: Cinnamon apple smoothie
Makes one 12-ounce smoothie
- 1 apple, cored
- 1 pear, cored
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons whole chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place ingredients in a high-speed blender and pulse for 30-60 seconds.
- Enjoy immediately.
*Choosing organic ingredients is highly recommended to support cleansing and detoxing.