Healthy recipes that detox your body
Summer means sunshine, vacations, BBQs and possibly overindulging with too many summer treats. Before the holiday season arrives, nourish your body with these seasonal detox foods.
Fall seasonal detox foods
Fruits and vegetables that are nutrient dense — containing a variety of vitamins and minerals — will help support your liver's natural cleansing and detoxification process. These types of foods also naturally contain fiber. A fibrous diet is key for regular elimination, which is one of the body's main methods for detoxification.
- Apple: Fiber and antioxidant vitamin C
- Pear: Fiber, copper, vitamin C and vitamin K
- Broccoli: Fiber, calcium, chromium, zinc, vitamin E and manganese
- Cauliflower: Fiber, vitamin B6, magnesium and potassium
- Butternut squash: Fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C and folate
In one day, you can enjoy all five foods!
Lunch: Fall detox bowl
- 1 small butternut squash
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cups broccoli
- 4 tablespoons almonds, slivered
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Chop the butternut squash in half and then, with a spoon, scoop out the seeds.
- Skin the butternut squash and then dice it into 1/2-inch squares.
- Chop the cauliflower into small florets.
- Toss squash and cauliflower with one tablespoon of coconut oil and place on a baking sheet to roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, as squash and cauliflower are cooking, wash and chop broccoli and add it to a medium-sized bowl.
- Combine broccoli with slivered almonds, fresh-squeezed lemon juice, olive oil and sea salt.
- When squash and cauliflower are finished cooking, let them cool for 15 minutes and then add them to the bowl and toss everything together. Enjoy!
Afternoon snack: Cinnamon apple smoothie
Makes one 12-ounce smoothie
- 1 apple, cored
- 1 pear, cored
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons whole chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place ingredients in a high-speed blender and pulse for 30-60 seconds.
- Enjoy immediately.
*Choosing organic ingredients is highly recommended to support cleansing and detoxing.