World Cup workout: Exercises you can do with a soccer ball
The world comes together for this incredible sporting event where countries lay it all on the line and display phenomenal levels of athleticism. The players' stunning chiseled physiques are just one of the many perks of their hard work (and a huge perk for the fans).
We may not be in training for the World Cup, but we definitely can workout just as hard as the athletes, or at least come close. This workout is designed to burn fat, increase stamina and improve agility as well as speed. It should be fun and get you out of your comfort zone. The only equipment required is a soccer ball.
Single leg bridges
- Lie on your back with knees bent and hands by your sides. Place one foot on the soccer ball and draw other knee into chest.
- Press through the ball of your foot to lift hips off the ground. Engage glutes and core the entire time. After hips reach the highest point, slowly lower hips back to the floor. Continue the movement at a steady pace.
- Perform 10 reps each side.
- Lie on your back with the ball between your thighs, just above your knees. Squeeze the ball as tight as possible by drawing thighs toward one another.
- Place hands behind your head and engage your core to lift shoulder blades off the ground. Keep elbows out wide and avoid pulling on your head.
- Maintain the squeeze on the ball as your crunch. Perform 20 reps.
Plank with leg raise
- Bring ball directly under your chest. Place both hands on top of the ball with legs extended straight back. Draw shoulder blades together, abs tight and legs engaged.
- Lift right leg up to hip height, keeping everything else still. Come back to center and repeat the movement on the other side.
- Continue alternating leg lifts for 10 reps each side.
Push-ups with one hand on ball
- Come into a push-up position with arms forming 90-degree angles. Place ball under your right hand. Extend legs straight back or, for a modified version, keep your knees on the floor.
- Bend elbows and lower your chest toward the ground, keeping the ball under your right hand. Make sure hips do not sag.
- Perform 10 push-ups then switch the ball to the left hand. Repeat the movement for 10 reps.