Some people are gifted with a way with words, but other people… not so much. If you’ve ever attempted to write a thoughtful, appropriate Valentine’s Day card only to wind up with a million pieces of paper ripped up at your feet — this one’s for you.
Valentine’s Day messages are rough, no matter what stage in your relationship you are. Even professional writers might be stumped and end up pulling out their hair figuring out exactly what words to write inside that blank card. You don’t want to go overboard and freak out someone you just started dating with an overly romantic card, which might cause an unexpectedly unpleasant conversation. On the other hand, if you’ve been with someone for a long time who really means a lot to you, you don’t want to write out a card that might come off as trite and watch your loved one’s face fall during your Valentine’s Day date. It might not seem like you don’t care as much as you actually do. The good news is you can be romantic — and not cheesy — with a perfect little quote or phrase in a personalized Valentine’s Day card.
Whether you’re casually dating someone, in a long-term relationship or have been married for decades, here’s how to approach your Valentine’s Day love note.
And if you’re intimidated by the entire Valentine’s Day card process, we even rounded up some examples of Valentine’s Day cards, from funny to super romantic, so you pick one that matches the tone of the note that you’re planning to jot down inside.
Our mission at SheKnows is to empower and inspire women, and we only feature products we think you’ll love as much as we do. Please note that if you purchase something by clicking on a link within this story, we may receive a small commission of the sale.
The new relationship
Tip: Avoid sexual comments. They may be fun, but they’re best kept out of a card, especially in the new relationship.
You want to express your care for someone you’re still getting to know, without being too serious. Here are a few ideas on what to write:
- I love that you’re my Valentine!
- Muah! Happy Valentine’s Day!
- I was never a fan of this holiday until meeting you, my sweet Valentine.
- I’ve loved getting to know you and spending time with you. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Our favorite quote: “Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes someone special to catch your heart.” — author unknown
A Blank Slate
This V-Day card is certainly unique, and it gives you the power to write whatever you want. The card is your canvas. You aren’t forced to conform to a super sappy Valentine’s Day card pre-written by someone else.
For the Dog Person
Ask your Valentine to be yours with this cute illustrated puppy. The card is blank and perfect if your beau has a furry friend.
Iconic Bernie Sanders Card
Bernie nearly broke the Internet on Inauguration Day with his coat and mittens. If your new love was obsessed with that meme, make it the focus of your Valentine’s Day card.
The steady boyfriend, girlfriend or partner
Valentine’s Day could be the perfect time to let your long-term love know just how much they mean to you and how much you’re looking forward to the future. Ideas on what to write include:
- The past few Valentine’s Days with you have been wonderful. I’m looking forward to many more!
- You mean everything to me. Happy Valentine’s Day to my one and only.
- “True love stories never have endings.” — Richard Bach
- “We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” — author unknown
- “When I saw you, I was afraid to meet you. When I met you, I was afraid to kiss you. When I kissed you, I was afraid to love you. Now that I love you, I’m afraid to lose you.” — Rene Yasenek
Our favorite quote: “Grow old with me! The best is yet to be.” — Robert Browning
Simple & To the Point
Couples have been spending a lot more time together this year, so it is a minor miracle that SOs are still together. Celebrate that in a tongue-in-cheek way with this card.
For the Schitt’s Creek Fan
If you’re the Moira Rose in the relationship, send this sweet card to your calmer, more level-headed Johnny.
Tell your significant other that they love them with this adorable illustrated card from Hallmark.
The life partner
Today’s the day to let your partner know just how much you love and appreciate them. And since you already won them over, you can be as cheesy as you please! Cute quotes and sayings to write on his card include:
- “Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite.” — author unknown
- You are the love of my life — always have been, always will be. Happy Valentine’s Day to the person of my dreams.
- “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” — Robert A. Heinlein
- “A hundred hearts would be too few to carry all my love for you.” — author unknown
Our favorite quote: “I’ve fallen in love many times… always with you.” — author unknown
A Funny Card
For the partner who seems to have everything, get them this tongue-in-cheek card. It’ll remind them that your presence is a present (but you should still get them a present).
Super Romantic Card
Own your feelings this Valentine’s Day and tell the love of your life exactly how much they’ve changed your life with this minimalist card.
Paper Roses Card
Instead of sending a bouquet of real flowers, send this beautiful 3D pop-up card. It’ll last longer than flowers anyway.
And a few bonus Valentine’s Day quotes for the funny couples
- “Without Valentine’s Day, February would be… well, January.” — Jim Gaffigan
- “I love being married. It’s so great to find one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.” — Rita Rudner
- “I don’t understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine’s Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon.” — author unknown
Baby Yoda Card
Get this cute Mandalorian card for the Star Wars fan in your life. Your partner or SO will get a kick out of this card.
If your SO loves a cheesy joke, a cringe-y pun or is simply a big fan of beans (I’m sure those exist), they’ll appreciate this card, which features a funny play-on-words.
For the Dating App Beau
Meeting someone on an app or online isn’t rare these days, but it was uncommon even a decade ago. Celebrate the technology that allowed you to meet with this cute card.
A version of this article was originally published in January 2014.
Before you go, check out 100 of our favorite vibrators to recommend to friends (which also make excellent Valentine’s Day gifts):