If you’re hungry and looking for some serious flavor without sacrificing your health, you’ll love this copycat recipe; a vegan version of Panda Express’ classic orange chicken. This is a vegan, vegetarian and plant-based recipe! Cauliflower provides a hearty texture, brown rice is a step up in nutrition from white rice and this simple orange sauce will have you wanting to make this dish a regular dinner staple. Make extra and it makes for great leftovers to take to lunch.
Orange roasted cauliflower recipe
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice or 1 small orange
- 1/2 cup 100 percent maple syrup
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon organic unrefined coconut oil
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 orange for garnish
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- In a medium saucepan on high heat, add 1 cup of brown rice to 2 cups of water. Bring the water and rice to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, cover and let cook for 45 minutes. Stir the brown rice occasionally so rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Next, wash the cauliflower, then chop off the stems to make cauliflower “trees.”
- Lay out cauliflower on a baking sheet and coat with coconut oil and season with salt and pepper
Roast the cauliflower in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- While cauliflower and rice are cooking, make the sauce.
- In a medium saucepan, simmer the orange juice with the maple syrup. Stir the sauce occasionally until both ingredients are well blended.
- Add the cauliflower to the sauce and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice and season with black pepper.
- To finish, garnish with orange slices, green bell pepper, or any fruit and vegetables you enjoy!