Turn an ordinary breakfast into an extraordinary dinner tonight with these healthy twists on your typical breakfast dishes.
Scrambled eggs with avocado and tomatoes
- 2/3 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh avocado, chopped
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the egg mixture and stir with a spatula until the eggs are almost done. Immediately transfer the eggs onto a serving dish — the eggs will continue to cook while on the dish.
- Top with diced tomatoes and chopped avocado. Serve with whole-grain toast, if desired.
Banana oatmeal pancakes
Adapted from QuakerOats.com
Yields 6 pancakes
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups low-fat or fat-free milk
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed very well (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, oats and baking powder to combine well.
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk, egg and oil. Whisk to combine.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Stir well until moistened — don’t overmix. Add the mashed banana and stir just enough to incorporate the banana into the mixture.
- Heat a lightly greased skillet over medium-high heat. Pour 1/3 cup of batter into the skillet for each pancake. Turn the pancakes when their tops have bubbled and their edges are cooked. Cook until the bottoms of the pancakes are golden brown.
- 4 slices turkey bacon, cooked according to package directions
- 2 slices whole-grain bread
- 2 slices fresh tomato
- 1 leaf lettuce
- Optional: low-fat mayonnaise or mustard for condiment(s)
- Prepare turkey bacon as desired (baked or fried), according to package directions.
- Place the turkey bacon slices, lettuce and tomato on toasted whole-grain bread.
Mushroom and bell pepper omelet
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Whisk the eggs, salt and pepper in a small bowl and set the mixture aside.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Add the green pepper and saute for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and saute for an additional 3 minutes. Cover and set aside.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil over medium-high heat in a medium skillet. Add the egg mixture and cook until the edges begin to set. Continue to cook until the center is almost set.
- Top the omelet evenly with vegetables. Then add the diced tomatoes and cheese evenly over the omelet.
- Loosen the omelet with a spatula and fold it in half.
- Slide the omelet onto a serving dish and slice it into four wedges. Sprinkle the wedges with parsley.
Cinnamon French toast
Adapted from MayoClinic.com
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 slices whole-grain bread
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons maple or agave syrup
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Dip the bread slices into the egg white mixture, coating both sides evenly.
- Heat a lightly greased, nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the bread until both sides are golden brown.
- Place the French toast onto a serving plate and sprinkle it with cinnamon and powdered sugar.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of syrup over each slice.