Nuts over coconuts: Thai coconut smoothie recipe
Are you cuckoo for coconut? There are many health benefits to this tropical fruit that just so happens to taste amazing too. We’re excited to share this exclusive Thai coconut smoothie recipe, courtesy of Love Grace. Make this at home to enjoy whenever the mood strikes!
The good stuff inside
Young coconuts are one of the highest sources of electrolytes and healthy fats, and are known to support the immune system with their anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. Coconut water is an all-natural way to hydrate, reduce sodium and add potassium to your diet. According to Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD, director of nutrition for WebMD, most Americans don't get enough potassium in their diets because they don't eat enough fruits, vegetables or dairy, so coconut water can help fill in the nutritional gaps. The medium-chain fatty acids in coconut meat allow the body to burn fat for energy leaving those who consume it regularly leaner and with more stamina.
The scoop on juice
Love Grace creates gourmet juices, smoothies and elixirs that are pure, unpasteurized, chemical-free, dairy-free and Kosher Certified. They offer made-to-order products with a cold-press extraction for maximum nutrients, bio-availability and lifespan. Bring on the benefits and great taste! Whether you already love coconuts or you're new to this fruit, consider trying a tasty smoothie made with coconut. We're excited to share an exclusive recipe, created by Love Grace, for Thai coconut smoothies. You'll enjoy the coconut water and meat of this fruit.
Thai Coconut Smoothie
- Water and meat from 1 young Thai coconut
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh lemon grass
- 3-4 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Place the young Thai coconut on a flat sturdy surface. Using a meat cleaver or strong chef knife open a square hole in the top of the coconut with four good whacks.
- Pour the coconut water into a blender through a strainer.
- Using a tablespoon to scrape out the white fleshy meat inside the coconut, making sure to discard any parts of the hard shell.
- Add the coconut meat, lemon grass, and mint to blender and blend until smooth.
- If you'd like, pour this silky drink back into the coconut and enjoy with a straw.