Eggs are easily the most versatile food you can keep stocked in your kitchen. I can’t think of any other food that can be fried, scrambled, poached, boiled, baked, pickled, used as a sauce, sous-vided — I could go on and on but you get the picture. It’s hard to pick one favorite way to cook an egg but poaching an egg is definitely at the top of the list. A poached egg is the perfect addition to soups, burgers, sandwiches, toast and so many other dishes but achieving the perfect poached egg is easier said than done. Unless, of course, you use these simple steps to poach the perfect egg every time. First, here’s what you’ll need.
Our mission at SheKnows is to empower and inspire women, and we only feature products we think you’ll love as much as we do. Please note that if you purchase something by clicking on a link within this story, we may receive a small commission of the sale.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of white vinegar to the water. This will help retain the egg’s shape.
- Gently crack the egg into a ramekin or small bowl. Be sure not to pop the yolk!
- Turn down the heat of your boiling water to a simmer.
- Spin the simmering water with a spoon or ladle to create a whirlpool.
- Carefully drop the egg into the center of the whirlpool.
- Wait 3-5 minutes until cooked.
- Remove your poached egg with a slotted spoon.
Now you have a gorgeous poached egg ready to be added to any dish you’d like. As Ina Garten would say, “How easy is that?”